Constant flow current.

electric_shock

Joined Jun 25, 2008
I am bored at work and come up with this idea. I am a PC Tech and not an electronic expert.

But, I am thinking of way to get current off of a battery when I'm camping so I don't have to re-charge it.

I mostly camp at hike in campground, so it's not convent to walk out all the time to re-charge a battery.

I have a 110V Battery Charger. Can I connect a 150W inverter to the 12V Battery, plug the Battery Charger into the inverter to run the battery charger, then connect the battery charger back to the battery to re-charge it while it's running the inverter?

So the battery keep charging while I connect the light directly to the battery terminal?

Or will it blow up or short out somewhere?

EDIT: Here's a diagram that might help explain my idea. But I am wondering since the current coming out of the battery into the inverter to the battery charger back to the battery to charge it up, if it will work that way, and connect the lights directly to the battery, might only be about 2 or 3, 7 Watt light bulbs.

Last edited:

silvrstring

Joined Mar 27, 2008
electric shock, you can't create something out of nothing. This setup will drain your battery faster than if you only had the lights hooked up. The inverter will not change the fact that you want to use the battery to charge the battery. It will, though, use another 150 W of power, and kill your battery faster. I don't think it would be dangerous--it would just be pointless.

If you are not putting a lot of load on the battery, maybe you could use this solar power car battery charger during the day: http://http://www.4lots.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=11

Last edited:

electric_shock

Joined Jun 25, 2008
I don't know, but it was and idea sounds like it would work to me, I wasn't sure.

But just to clarify what your saying, the battery to the inverter, inverter to to the battery charger, and from the battery charger to charge the battery back will not work, that might kill the battery faster than charging it, right?

That link did not work, but I'll search for it, thanks.

Any other suggestion is welcome.

Thanks

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
It is the same as connecting the shaft of a generator to the shaft of an electric motor and let the motor start running with a battery. The generator will not drive the motor and will not charge the battery.

Norfindel

Joined Mar 6, 2008
If i were you, i would start searching for solar panels to charge the battery.

The problem with your idea, is that neither the charger, nor the inverter have more than 100% efficiency (in fact, it's lower than 100%, maybe 80%, or lower), so you actually lose energy, which is what always happends, or your could build the "continuous moving machine", which would work by itself without requiring any energy source.

But, if you want the battery to last longer, you could reduce the power you require from it, or use more batteries, or go solar power to charge the battery, but that depends on the weather.