Constant Current Biasing of BJT

salil87

Joined Nov 4, 2011
Hi
As shown in the diagram, a BJT is biased using a constant current source. But I am not getting how it would work. If Ie(Emitter Current) does not change (due to the constant current source) then how will the input affect the output? Some Confusion. A Little Help needed. :)

Thanks
Salil

Attachments

Adjuster

Joined Dec 26, 2010
This seems to be simply an illustration of a biasing method. A signal path could be established by some components not shown in the diagram, for instance a capacitor connected to the emitter.

Alternatively, a constant current output from the collector may be all that is required, for instance to establish a bias or reference voltage for something else.

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
My impression of the circuit is that it is intend to illustrate a simple BJT stage with a constant current source in the emitter circuit. If it is part of a BJT problem then a lot depends on the question asked about the circuit.

If the question is what is the effect of the output at Vc with an input signal applied to the base then for small signal changes on the input I would expect the voltage at Vc to remain unchanged.

hgmjr

salil87

Joined Nov 4, 2011
Yup Got it(i think). A Capacitor should be connected across the current source which would allow the changes in the emitter current due to the input signal. This would allow the input signal to change the output. Correct me If I am wrong(i hope not ). :)

Thanks
Salil

Ron H

Joined Apr 14, 2005
Yup Got it(i think). A Capacitor should be connected across the current source which would allow the changes in the emitter current due to the input signal. This would allow the input signal to change the output. Correct me If I am wrong(i hope not ). :)

Thanks
Salil
That works. A resistor in series with the capacitor will reduce the gain (at frequencies where Xc<<R) and also reduce harmonic distortion.