Considering Upgrade from Crusty Hitachi V-1050 Scope

Zero Potential

Joined Mar 25, 2015
I'll probably get flamed to a cinder for starting this thread, but I am very brave, so...

I have an old analog Hitachi v-1050 oscilloscope (2-channel, 100 MHz). I paid 50 bucks for it maybe seven years ago. The scope has been fine and dandy for simple things like finding out whether a guitar amp is producing a signal at various points in the circuit. The other day I started trying to get to know it better, and I found that the volts-division knob on the second channel is stuck. It's like someone put glue in it. I can turn it, but it's highly annoying. I haven't taken it apart yet to see if it can be fixed; I just discovered the issue.

I was using it tonight to look at the output from a 555 timer, and I got somewhat aggravated with it. It's fun to fix old things and make them work, but it would be nice to have a more modern scope with a clearer display and little numbers on the screen telling me what's going on.

I will probably never do anything really sophisticated with electronics, but I'm wondering...if I get a new scope, am I better off getting a new Rigol DS1054Z or maybe an old Tektronix or Agilent? I would like something pleasant to use. When I was in college in the early 90's, they gave us Tektronix to learn on, and they seemed considerably friendlier than the Hitachi.

I know people will say, "What do you want to use it for?" Obviously, I will continue to fool with guitar amps, but I would like to gain more knowledge of electronics and just generally be less inept. I realize that's not very specific. I just want to think less about the oscilloscope and more about whatever I'm working on.

Now I'll just put on my Nomex pajamas...

Nykolas

Joined Aug 27, 2013
I have had the V-1065 for 20 years and I hope to keep it for just as many. It is the same scope as the V-1050 with a few more functions, I had the same issue.
Take of the 2 knobs for the vertical and put the scope on it's back. Put a drop (or 2) of paint thinner between the concentric shafts. After a minute or so the thinner should have worked it's way through the gummed-up lubricant between the shafts. Gently rotate the knobs to free the shafts.
Do get a digital scope, but do not get rid of the V-1050. Most digital scopes have only an 8-bit resolution and are of little use for a lot of audio work. E

Zero Potential

Joined Mar 25, 2015
I'm kind of surprised people didn't pop up to tell me to buy an old Agilent, but from all the reading I've done, it sounds like a Rigol would actually be a better move.

Zero Potential

Joined Mar 25, 2015
I don't actually know whether I'll ever need 4 probes. I just don't want to find myself wishing I had them!

I want to learn a little bit about digital electronics. I have seen people saying you shouldn't get into it with less than 4 channels, and I knew they knew more than I did, so 4 channels sounded good.

Is there a 2-channel job I should be thinking of instead of the Rigol DS1054Z for similar money?

I know these questions are stupid, but you know how it is. You get a tool to help you learn about a subject, and then when you learn about the subject, you finally know what tools you need.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
It doesn't matter if you're testing tubes, transistors or ICs.
The reason for viewing multiple channels at the same time is when you need to look at the timing relationship between two signals.
This is not essential with audio circuits but becomes a necessity when working with computer or digital systems.

Also a digital scope is handy when you want to view a one-shot event, as an example, if you want to look at a spike in your audio amplifier when you turn on your soldering station.

Zero Potential

Joined Mar 25, 2015
Let's not get too literal. I just meant I am used to working with very simple circuits, and I'm sure I'll eventually want to work with digital stuff which will make more demands on my test equipment.

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
I'm sure I'll eventually want to work with digital stuff which will make more demands on my test equipment.
If you get to the point where you need to look at 4 signals simultaneously, you'll probably want a logic analyzer that will let you observe 8, 16, or 32 signals.

Do some research on Tek 7xxx series mainframes. Manufactured starting back in the 70's, but they have plug-ins for logic analyzers, digital scopes, frequency meters, curve tracer, voltmeter, and a slew of vertical amplifiers and time bases.

Zero Potential

Joined Mar 25, 2015
I decided to try a Rigol. It arrived today.

This thing is crazy! Moving from the Hitachi to this is like going from a crank telephone to a smartphone. I am inundated with information I don't even know how to use yet. This is so much better than just squares and a trace. I can't even guess what a high-end scope is like.

It gave me motivation to get into Arduino. I found a series of tutorial exercises published by Tektronix, and they require using an Arduino board as a signal generator. I had to edit the sketches to make them work, but it's running.