connector for a gutted ipod voice coil driver pin pad

justtrying

Joined Mar 9, 2011
Now that I have your attention, here is the project...

For my summer job, I am making a set of shutter drivers out of former ipods. Currently we are soldering wires onto the pin pads (which have 1/8''pitch) for the lack of any other solution. Of course they are not meant to be soldered and I am worried that in the near future (if someone is not careful) the thin plastic will break. We have looked throguh all the suppliers to try and find a possible coonnectior that might work, but had no luck.

Please see pictures attached. Looking for any constructive suggestions. Thanks.

Attachments

Joined Nov 30, 2010
You need to tie those wires down so they don't get jerked loose.

Too obvious?

Are you dead sure the spacing is .125 inches?
I only came up with one 3.18mm connector and it's nothing like what you need.

justtrying

Joined Mar 9, 2011
Thank you for reply, we will probably end up doing what you suggested (it remains the popular choice - cheap).

Would be nice to find a connector to avoid soldering alltogether as the underlying plastic overheats and weakens in the process... Quite sure about the spacing, but since the device is Apple, not likely to find anything on the market as I believe all their parts are proprietary

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Hooray for Apple. Makes me wonder why I'd buy from Apple in order to get locked in to stuff you can't get anywhere else.

justtrying

Joined Mar 9, 2011
Three cheers for i-pad!!!

well, these i-pods will now be slaving away doing laser experiments. Lets hope the solder holds.