connection to a servo motor

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by bug13, Jun 13, 2013.

1. bug13

Thread Starter Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2012
    Hi guys

Do I need to put a free wheel diode and a cap in parallel with servo motor? I assume those two components are not necessary, as it's internal circuit should have those already??

Thanks

edit:

Is it recommend to have a series resistor in the signal line to a servo motor?

Last edited: Jun 13, 2013
  2. Dodgydave

Distinguished Member

Jun 22, 2012
    Most servo/stepper driver chips have back emf diodes built in, which driver are you using?

3. bug13

Feb 13, 2012
    The one I am playing with at the moment doesn't need a driver, all it needs is a PWM signal like this.

And I just connect it directly to the PWM of a MCU, but I am thinking long term reliability, so I am just wondering if I need free wheel diode and cap in parallel in power supply, and resistor in series to the PWM signal

4. THE_RB

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 11, 2008
    That has nothing to do with "servo motors", what you are talking about is an "RC servo".

It's good to have a decent sized cap on the power leads to the RC servo. The cap on the little PCB inside the RC servo is very tiny.

bug13 likes this.
  5. bug13

Feb 13, 2012
    Arrrh, so servo motors are different from RC servo motor, I always thought they are the same but just different in size, thanks for that!

6. THE_RB

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 11, 2008
    Servo motor;

[​IMG]

and RC servo;

[​IMG]

:)

bug13 likes this.