connecting voltmeter to microprocessor

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by sportsfan27, Jan 29, 2009.

1. sportsfan27

Thread Starter Active Member

Jan 29, 2009
    I need a way to connect 6-8 voltmeter boards I'll be building myself to a microprocessor that can parse the information from the meters and run a program like "if voltage from voltmeter A is > preset maximum voltage, turn off the power and turn on a little red warning light." Any ideas?

2. SgtWookie

Expert

Jul 17, 2007
    Why not use a uC that has a built-in multichannel DAC, and just use that? Not precise enough for you?

3. sportsfan27

Thread Starter Active Member

Jan 29, 2009
    That would work. Any ideas on specific models/specs and how to connect everything?

4. SgtWookie

Expert

Jul 17, 2007
    There are lots of uC's available from many manufacturers.

Microchip's PIC uC's are pretty popular, so are Arduinos. Parallax Inc's Basic Stamps are easy to program, but quite pricey.

First, you need to detail all of your requirements for inputs and outputs.
    That is what will eventually narrow down your choice of uC's.

With Microchip's PICs, you could get started with a PICkit2 Debug Express kit that comes with a 44-pin PIC16F877 uC on a board, for about $50 US+shipping. The PIC16F887 is an 8-bit uC that has a software-selectable clock speed from 31kHz to 8MHz, and has a 14 channel 10-bit DAC, among many other features.

5. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    If it's only one preset level per case, a few voltage comparators can work, too. A low means below setpoint - high if above.