Connecting solar battery to APC UPS

Discussion in 'Homework Help' started by prashanth_brp, Jul 10, 2009.

1. prashanth_brp

prashanth_brp Thread Starter New Member

Hello.

I have APC back UPS BE650Y-IN (Model: http://www.apc.com/products/category.cfm?id=13&segmentID=1
    select BE650Y-IN from first pulldown menu to see the specification). Its battery is dead now.
    I have solar system in home. At present it is used for only lights. Solar system has the battery which
    looks something like this (http://www.apexbattery.com/8a22nf-solar-battery-group-22nf-solar-batteries.html).
    Now I want to connect the APC UPS to this battery. Is this connection possible?.
    UPS battery is 12V,3A and Solar battery is 12V,6A (Dont know exactly). Will this connection cause
    any problem to UPS?. I want to use this UPS for only TV(90W).
  2. beenthere

beenthere AAC Fanatic!

The biggest problem is the power of the TV. 90 watts is not much at 120 VAC, but to supply 90 watts from a battery of 12 volts will require 7.5 amps of current. The inverter is not perfectly efficient, so plan on needing a battery that can supply at least 8 amps.
  3. prashanth_brp

prashanth_brp Thread Starter New Member

Thanks for your answer.

I was running TV with the same UPS(old battery 12V, 3A) upto 45min before its battery bacame dead.
    Now I planned to go for 12V,6A battery. Since there is only change in AMPs, I thought there may be some problem of more heat generation which requires additional heat sink.
  4. TinyJoe

TinyJoe New Member

On our RV we couldn't figure out for the longest time how to run the home theater system and get a proper run time without draining the main batteries. After a lot of research we decided to modify an APC Smart UPS 1400 by removing the internal batteries and adding 2x 12v 75ah batteries. Now the home theater system runs for almost 20 hours before needing to be plugged in. I would recommend this approach to anyone. Gives you a much longer run time than the manufacturer and still gives you all the protection.

Joe