Connecting headphones to amplifier speaker output?

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by Mckayman, Oct 12, 2010.

1. Mckayman

Thread Starter Active Member

Jun 22, 2009
    Hello everyone,

Today I got my hands on an old tube Davis mono amplifier, model 106. I wish to use this amplifier for my headphones while listening to music. The headphones are pioneer SE 505. Each right and left is 8 ohms. So I was thinking that I should hook right and left up to the 4 ohm output, since the right and left would then be in parallel.

I have herd talk about that when doing this one needs to make a voltage divider when connecting headphones directly to the speaker out on the amp to prevent burning up the headphones. Could anyone help me with some suggestions on how to properly do this? :)

2. marshallf3

Jul 26, 2010
    Unlike most solid state amps, tube amps need a load on their outputs.

I'd get some 8 ohm 10W resistors from Radio Shack to simulate the speakers then use something like 100 ohm resistors in series with the headphone channels. If you look at most amp or receiver schematics the headphone output jacks are usually padded with series resistors.

3. Mckayman

Thread Starter Active Member

Jun 22, 2009
    Alright so from what I believe now, since i'll use the 4 ohm out put ill have a 4 ohm resistor going from the output to ground as a dummy load. Then have resistors in series going to the right and left phones. Kind of like a voltage divider...