Connecting Hantronix LCD

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by dmarciano, May 2, 2012.

1. dmarciano

Thread Starter Member

Oct 10, 2007
    I have a Hantronix HDM64GS12L-4-N31S LCD screen that I want to use in my project, however I can't figure out a good way to connect it. The PCB the LCD is mounted on has 20 small holes for the I/O however they are more like vias that pads to solder to. You can see a picture of the LCD here. All the data sheets and app notes on Hantronix's website doesn't give any suggestions. The only thing I can think of is to thread a wire through each of the holes and solder it like that, however it doesn't seem like it would necessarily make a good connection since there is no pad around it. If anybody has any other ideas, or experience with this specific module, I'm open to suggestions. Thanks in advance for any help or advice.

2. bretm

Feb 6, 2012
    It looks like it should be solderable. I would connect a row of headers to it instead of wires. That way you can plug the whole thing into matching headers, or a breadboard.

3. dmarciano

Thread Starter Member

Oct 10, 2007
    So something like this would probably be better? I've never used header before so I'm assuming I would solder the shorter end into the LCD PCB and the longer side is to connect into the female adapter?

4. davebee

Oct 22, 2008
    If the holes are plated inside then I'd think that soldering wires directly to the holes would work fine, as long as the wires have enough strain relief that nothing tugs directly at the joint where the wire comes out of the board.

5. dmarciano

Thread Starter Member

Oct 10, 2007
    I guess I'll give it a try with the wire since I need to start working on my devices menus and options and can't really do that without the screen working. Thanks for the info