Connecting Fibre to LED

MrL

Joined Oct 21, 2009
Hi,

I'm currently working on an optical communications system, and i'm currently in the design phase. As this is my first experience in building an optical system, i was wondering how i would go about connecting an LED source to a multimode fibre. I've had a look around for the type of connector i would require but i can't seem to find what i'm looking for. Would anyone please be able to point me in the right direction?

Thanks.

MrL

Joined Oct 21, 2009
Thank you. I started off by looking at the optoelectronics sub categories on farnell and rs components. I also had a search on google but i guess i was searching the wrong terms.

Thanks again.

Adjuster

Joined Dec 26, 2010
Note that ordinary LEDs designed as indicators or for general illumination will not suit this purpose well, as it will be difficult to couple much of their output into the core of a fibre, even a relatively wide multimode one.

You are probably much better advised to start with devices intended for fiibre operation, with all the nice alignments done for you, unless your course actually requires you to start with a bare (chip?) LED and physically construct a coupling.