connecting CD drive

Discussion in 'Computing and Networks' started by sion, Jan 27, 2013.

1. sion

Thread Starter New Member

Jan 27, 2013
    Are you saying that there is no conection on the machine which would take it, I realize there is no USB port but can't I connect the USB to an adaptor to another port?

2. nerdegutta

Dec 15, 2009
    What type of computer is it?

What type of CDROM is it?

Usually CDROMs have IDE interface, and most computer in the '95 era had that IDE interface. You might need the program MSCD.exe or what it was called....

3. tinamishra

Dec 1, 2012
    It is not a serious issue just check the internal wires and make sure that bus is not having any fault in it.

4. t06afre

AAC Fanatic!

May 11, 2009
    Even IDE is out. I tried to get an IDE DVD burner a month ago. For my fathers PC. I had to give up. It was USB or SATA as the only options

5. sion

Thread Starter New Member

Jan 27, 2013
    I'm new to this, what do you mean USB or SATA?
    I'm busy for several weeks and will have to come back to this.
    Is it possible to explain simply what I need to do to connect the USB from the new CD Drive I have recently purchased to my old dantum computer by DAN which runs Windows 1995.
    Thanks for each and every reply by the way.

6. t06afre

AAC Fanatic!

May 11, 2009
    OK take a look at this picture. For HD and DVD/CD SATA is the golden standard. But back in the windows 95 days. ATA was the standard. I do not think windows 95 support SATA. So my guess is that ATA or IDE is a must for devices on your computer. If your DVD use a SATA type interface. I do not think it is much you can do
    [​IMG]

7. nerdegutta

Dec 15, 2009
    Wasn't it E-IDE for a while? Enhanced IDE?

How many do you need? Think I got a pile standing in the "nerde rommet".:)