Connecting 55watt Fog Lights with Relay on Boat?

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by jmusmc1998, Jul 15, 2009.

1. jmusmc1998

Thread Starter New Member

Jul 15, 2009
    Hello,I do a lot night fishing and this would help me. I am trying to connect two 55 watt fog lights to my pontoon boat with a relay switch and run it off my accessory switch. My concern is that I will melt my wiring, short out all my wires or accessory switch. This has happened to me before. I have the schematics to wire with an aftermarket switch, but I would prefer to use the accessory switch that is already mounted and wired on my boats console. I currently have 2 lights, a fog light wiring kit with a 30amp relay that has specification for the lights I will be using. I thought about maybe tapping into my trolling motor harness since it has a direct power and ground wire to my deep cycle battery as well? Can some please tell me a simple way for me to wire safely?

2. Mass

Apr 9, 2009
    What would the battery voltage be? 12V?

Make sure your switch can handle the coil current of the relay. Don't forget to figure in a safety factor too (x2 maybe).

As for the wiring, check the current rating of the wire gauge you'll run to the lights and make sure they are big enough. Charts can be found online listing current capacity vs wire gauge.

3. Mike2545

Mar 26, 2009
    If your accessory switch can handle the relay current, I cant imagine why not, you could use it. I would run a separate heavy gauge wire (#14 or better) from the battery through the relay. It is important to have a fuse as close to the battery as possible on this wire. Then you can run this wire anyplace you have your lights.

4. jmusmc1998

Jul 15, 2009
    Yes, it is a 12 volt battery. I do plan to run power wire from the relay straight to the battery and wire from the relay to the power switch and the power switch to the fuse box. What I don't understand is that I have 2 fuses. One to the battery from the relay and another fuse from the switch to fuse box. I guess it is like double protection. I appreciate everyones feedback. I am going to try install it tonight when cools down. Thanks, J

5. jmusmc1998

Jul 15, 2009
    It is 12 volts. What is the safety factor? Do you mean 2 relays? According to the relay it is rated to handle only two 55 watt lights. Thanks, J

6. DC_Kid

Distinguished Member

Feb 25, 2008
    fuses are to protect wiring from shorts. every wire leaving the distribution box/panel should be fused. a wire that shorts or overloads can burn up midway down the wire possibly starting a fire between boat panels, under a seat, etc etc.

its not double protection. one fuse protects the wiring supplying the high current from battery through the swing pole of relay to the lights, while the other fuse protects the wiring going through the switch and through the relay coil.

when they say "2x factor" they mean if the relay coil draws 1amp then the switch should be rated for at least 2amps. if the lights draw 10amps (5amps each) then the relay pole should be rated for at least 20amps. if the relay has other load on it besides the lights then you need to account for that load too, etc.