connect my laptop to my desktop

Discussion in 'Computing and Networks' started by adamclark, Aug 4, 2014.

1. adamclark

Thread Starter Member

Oct 4, 2013
    hello all,, I have my laptop connected to my pc to share the wifi connection to my pc.. I connected the 2 with a crossover cable, and after fooling with settings for awhile I finally got internet to the pc from my laptop.. now heres where im having trouble. Both computers have windows 7. I want to be able to share files and such between the 2. I followed the directions in the help section of windows and I can see all the folders and files on both machines.. on the laptop I can access the files on the pc, but on the pc when I try to click on a folder or file that's on my laptop it say I don't have permission... But the pc can play the music and videos from the laptop with no prblems.. What am I doing wrong? I would really like to just start over fresh and make a good network connection between the 2. I got it kinda half assed I think. thanks in advance

2. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    From where are you getting your wifi?
    Get a USB wifi adapter for your PC, like $20.

3. adamclark

Thread Starter Member

Oct 4, 2013
    I get wifi from my laptop wifi card.. Ive got the internet on the pc from connecting my laptop to the desktop with a crossover cable.. im trying to network the 2 together to be able to share files.. on the laptop I can use the files from the desktop and I can see all the laptop files on the homegroup on the desktop but it says I don't have permission when I try to use them from the laptop,,, that's the problem.. I just need to setup the network to get permission from the laptop to the desktop..

4. adamclark

Thread Starter Member

Oct 4, 2013
    I have my oscilloscope connected to the desktop so I can see a bigger display and I can data log with it.. but I do most of my work on the laptop... I need the 2 connected properly so I can work easier instead of putting files on a flash drive and copying them to the desktop... I need my work to stream to the desktop so I can see stuff in realtime..

5. adamclark

Thread Starter Member

Oct 4, 2013
    I basically just need a network guru to walk me through setting up my network between the 2 computers correctly

6. shteii01

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 19, 2010
    A couple of things in no particular order.

* make sure file sharing is enabled on both machines
    * make sure file sharing is enabled for/on specific folders

7. adamclark

Thread Starter Member

Oct 4, 2013
    done and done.. I tried to run he wizard and now it says I need permission to see the files on the desktop from my latop now.. so now I have no permission on both computers.... dammit

8. DerStrom8

Feb 20, 2011
    I just use my two Skype accounts to transfer files between computers. Log into one account on my desktop, and into another account on my laptop, then I can send files from one to the other :p

9. shteii01

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 19, 2010
    You might have to reboot both machines before things take effect.