Connect an ADC0804 to the FPGA DE2 board

Discussion in 'Embedded Systems and Microcontrollers' started by maerle, Apr 4, 2014.

1. maerle

Thread Starter New Member

Apr 3, 2014
    I would like to make a communication with an analog digital converter (ADC0804) with the FPGA to collect a voltage that varies from 0 to 5V. I tried to search in the web but I still have no idea of what is required to put between them. (maybe just wires into the GPIO?)

The input will be an operational amplifier with R2 being a thermal resistor. (Attachment)
    (I will edit the configuration to get a positive output from there. That`s not the deal right now)

Any help or even any document to read more about is a big help to open my mind. Thank you.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2014
  2. tshuck

Oct 18, 2012
    Page 2 shows how to connect a device to the ADC, is this not what you are looking for?

Instead of the microprocessor, you have the FPGA...

3. maerle

Thread Starter New Member

Apr 3, 2014
    Hoping you are right I attached my new next steps.

However, I still don't know where to put 'chip select', 'read', 'write' and 'interrupt' terminals.

Also, I am not right about my clock R and clock in terminals. (and afraid to damage the board).

4. tshuck

Oct 18, 2012
    It looks like you are trying to use an I/O expander with a FPGA...why?:confused:

Why can't you just connect it to the FPGA and drive the signals as necessary?