Confusion about torque sensors

Discussion in 'Electronics Resources' started by CircuitZord, Apr 5, 2014.

1. CircuitZord

Thread Starter Member

Oct 8, 2012
    I am looking to implement a torque sensor onto a shaft from a steering column, and I am confused as to how I can go about doing this.

There appear to be different types of torque sensors, I essentially need to use a hollow torque sensor so that it will encompass the steering column, what I am confused about is how will I know that it will fit snugly before buying it? I suppose I can go around looking at the datasheets and such but at this stage I have not decided on whether I will get a column fabricated at the workshop, whether I will pull one out from a car wreckers, etc.

Any ideas?

2. shortbus

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 30, 2009
    That is how people usually chose components. Set a 'goal' and then research things that may meet that 'goal'. If nothing is found, then you need to reset the 'goal' to what is available. Your thread will probably be closed due to the TOS of the forum (no automotive related projects)

Do a Google on electronic "power steering angle sensor". https://www.google.com/search?q=ele...la:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&channel=sb

3. CircuitZord

Thread Starter Member

Oct 8, 2012
    OK thanks, I will look it up.

To be completely honest, this is not something I'm going to be doing to a road car. It's for a thesis topic on a mock up rig.

shortbus likes this.