confusing MOSFET prices

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by bob800, Dec 15, 2013.

1. bob800

Thread Starter Member

Dec 10, 2011
    On Mouser, the first result for "IRFP450" costs almost $10/ea: http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Vishay-Siliconix/IRFP450/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMshyDBzk1%2fWizSW%252bwlCH%2fhMNDz4UodUBMI%3d

However, they also sell a lead-free version which costs $3/ea: http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail...=sGAEpiMZZMshyDBzk1/Wi1F3z9PgzPBnCSufrOup6kg=

Why is latter so much cheaper? Is there a quality difference? All the specs look the same--in fact it even looks like the response time is faster on the $3 version.

Also, would I be correct in assuming I could solder with PbSn on the lead-free MOSFET?

2. alfacliff

Dec 13, 2013
    the price depends on the number sold, the lead free sells better now, so has a better price. yes you can use lead type solder to solder to lead free parts.

bob800 likes this.
  3. kubeek

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 20, 2005
    Note the difference between IRFP450 and IRFP450A. The A version has some better parameters, which hints that is being made using some newer process / technolgoy. This basically means that the non-A versions are old, possibly no longer manufactured, and thus their price is higher.
    PBF meand Pb free, but the A before it is the important part.

bob800 likes this.
  4. bob800

Thread Starter Member

Dec 10, 2011
    ... but the A version is the cheaper one...?

5. kubeek

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 20, 2005
    The key is that the new A versions are what is currently produced and likely are produced in high volume.
    On the other hand the non-A are old and fewer are made, if any at all, which makes their price go up.

Another factor could be that the new process used to make the A versions is somehow faster or cheaper to do than the process used to make the old ones.

bob800 likes this.
  6. GopherT

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 23, 2012
    Marketing sets the pricing, not engineering. Any more questions about pricing not making sense?

bob800 likes this.
  7. bob800

Thread Starter Member

Dec 10, 2011
    OK thanks... I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything on the technical side.