Confused by schematic...

BMorse

Joined Sep 26, 2009
Hey, could someone explain what's going on in the upper left of this schematic? The mic only seems to be connected to ground.

It is connected as it should be, bias (red) wire connected to VCC, output going into the 741's - input, and ground....

My .02

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
A 741 opamp is much too noisy (hissss) to be a mic preamp.
Most electret mics have only two wires, the signal and power pin and a ground pin. A three wire electret mic is rare.

ShockBoy

Joined Oct 27, 2009
Huh? Oh Dear God. Tell me it isn't so. Rare as in ... ? jackalope? what. All the electret mic's I have are 2 pin. Ron, Check ecelab.com, they have the copy/original there - though without the word 'red'. I'm just trying to use an op amp to boost mic signal to blink a light. I.E. led. Need help; that's why I'm here, you awesome folks you are.

Ron H

Joined Apr 14, 2005
Ron, Check ecelab.com, they have the copy/original there - though without the word 'red'. I'm just trying to use an op amp to boost mic signal to blink a light. I.E. led. Need help; that's why I'm here, you awesome folks you are.
When you provide a link, try to be more specific. Ecelab has hundred of links on their main page.
And it wouldn't matter if it were on God.com, it won't work without a resistor or diode (anode to GND) from the base of Q1 to ground. A resistor in series with C2 would be a good idea also.

Ron H

Joined Apr 14, 2005
Is it possible to swap the lm741 with a standard dual op amp like the 4580dd jrc?
That should work. Disable the unused op amp if you're not using it. One way to do this is to connect the + input to the junction of R2 and R3, and the output to the -input.