Confused about lure

Bhawk01

Joined Nov 9, 2016
Hey everyone I'm new here, I am currently trying to make a drag lure, a 12v model aircraft motor, with a spool and line attached to drag a lure for my dogs to chase for training. So I've built one, but fit some reason the motor isn't going full speed, it seems to only be going half the speed is capable of and i can't figure out why, I'm not clued up in electronics bit for such a simple device I'm stumped, any ideas why this would be?
Thanks
Ben

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
Lots of ideas, no way to qualify them.

What is the motor make / model / part number?
What is the power source? Battery? AC-power supply? Hamster cage?
Is the motor faster with no drag line attached?
Are you sure it is a 12 V motor?
Are you sure your power source is making 12 V under full load?

ak

Bhawk01

Joined Nov 9, 2016
It is a jp powertorque 12v motor, going to a connector up to a variable speed switch, and powered by a 12v motorbike battery. Hope this helps

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
Any details on the type of speed control between motor and battery?
Does the motor go as fast as you desire straight from battery?

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
1) Please tell us the motor's rated wattage.
2) As others have asked, does the motor run full/expected speed when attached to the controller without any load on it?

John

Bhawk01

Joined Nov 9, 2016
I looked on eBay and it's called '
UK 10-50V 40A 2000W MAX DC Motor Speed Control PWM HHO RC Controller 12V 24V 48V'

Bhawk01

Joined Nov 9, 2016
The motor should be capable of full speed under the load as I have another drag lure with same motor in it, I'm trying to replicate it but it just won't run as fast

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Since you have already made one that works, please tell us how the "variable speed" switch is designed? That is, its circuit and or connections. What sort of control signal do you use to vary the motor's speed?

John

Bhawk01

Joined Nov 9, 2016
I bought the one that works. The variable speed controller is a switch I bought on eBay, basically two wires lead to the motor and one for positive and one for negative.
I might try it tomorrow without the switch just to see if that could be the issue. Although the switch looks identical to the original one

Thanks again