conflicting information

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by greenJames, Jul 2, 2013.

1. greenJames

Thread Starter Member

Apr 24, 2013
    Hello every one NOW I'm quite confused I know I also have a thread running on the High Bridge controller. This Item is a component on that board but I have found two conflicting pinout sheets and I'm now quite lost.

OK on the Schematics (attached below)

1 Emitter
    2 Collector
    3 Base

which is fine Now one of the members here suggested that they where the wrong way around. on the schematic so that got me looking ? but on the following ST Microelectronics

This Link http://docs-europe.electrocomponents.com/webdocs/002d/0900766b8002db67.pdf

the information contradicts the schematics in saying that

1 Base
    2 Collector
    3 Emitter

But this data sheet Link http://www.datasheetdir.com/ISCSEMI-BD139+Power-Transistors

This information confirms the schematic

1 Emitter
    2 collector
    3 Base

what is the correct pin configuration with the white writing facing front so there for the heat sink part is facing to the rear of the part.

Am I just having a blond moment

2. mcgyvr

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 15, 2009
    blonde moment.. Both datasheet pinouts are identical
    They just have the numbers 1/3 switched but they are still both identical.

3. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    This is the pinout:

[​IMG]

4. studiot

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 9, 2007
    Yes both datasheets have the same pinout, which is as MrChips has shown.

The ordering numbers of the pins is reversed betwen the datasheets so the centre (collector) remains the same, but 3 and 1 are switched in the sheets.

5. shortbus

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 30, 2009
    But you should always use the data sheet from the manufacturer of the device your using. Some transistors/mosfets are different in their pin layout. There is no industry wide agreement in the pin out of transistors/mosfets.

6. studiot

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 9, 2007
    All device numbers are registered with a registering body (eg jedec, Pro- Electron etc), by their originators. This sets the device parameters for that number.

I would be suspicious of any second source manufacturer that made a device to a different specification.
    How could you trust them to manufacture it to their own sheet if they can't be bothered to conform to the standard?

Many variations of casing or pinout are indicated by a letter suffix.

7. shortbus

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 30, 2009
    I've seen many that have the same part number but different pinouts, from different reputable manufacturers. The standards are usually only that they have to conform to sizes not a certain pinout. Now this only applies to mosfets and transistors. Not ICs. And no I can't recall a part off the top of my head.

8. studiot

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 9, 2007
    But only one manufacturer can have registered a BD139; it is a ProElectron code.

Do you know who that was? I don't think it was either of the two mentioned.

http://highered.mcgraw-hill.com/sites/dl/free/0073106941/443736/ProElectron.pdf

9. Relayer

Jan 1, 2013
    Many years ago during my CTV repair days, I obtained quite a few 2SC733 transistors from a colleague who was also in the repair business.
    In those days, the 2SC733 were fairly commonly used in Japanese TV's (mainly Mitsubishi and Toshiba models).
    I remember spending fruitless hours trouble shooting a circuit after replacing some faulty 733's. In the end I finally checked the batch I was given, only to find out the pin connections were wrong compared to my original 733's.
    The only difference in physical appearance of the two was the number stamping on the device itself. The bogus 733's had slightly wider letter and number markings, otherwise they looked identical.
    Regards,
    Relayer :D:D:D

10. greenJames

Thread Starter Member

Apr 24, 2013
    So we have establish that these transistor can and do have different orientations.

my next question how can or should I say how do you test orientation of emitter and base because the collector is a common pin 2

James

11. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    You can test a bipolar junction transistor (BJT) using an ohmmeter or the diode function on a multimeter. A BJT looks like two PN junctions connected at the base. There should be a high resistance reading between the collector and emitter when the test leads are connected in both directions.

12. studiot

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 9, 2007
    :D

So that's where we've lost him - he fell down behind the keyboard.

:D

shortbus likes this.
  13. greenJames

Thread Starter Member

Apr 24, 2013
    Thank you I will see if I can put your explanation in to practice.

James

14. Ramussons

May 3, 2013
    A multimeter test for resistance between Collector and Emitter will be always very high.
    Collector - Base will behave as an diode.

Ramesh