Conductive Rail

Dritech

Joined Sep 21, 2011
Hi all,

I have a linear mover which I am using to mount a camera. Now I need to supply 12V to the moving part without using a cable carrier.
Is there a kind of conductive rail similar to Scalextric tracks which I can buy?

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
Hi all,

I have a linear mover which I am using to mount a camera. Now I need to supply 12V to the moving part without using a cable carrier.
Is there a kind of conductive rail similar to Scalextric tracks which I can buy?
Something like that is sometimes used for low voltage halogen lighting, the lamp holders clamp onto a parallel pair of chromed rails which both support the installation and feed it power.

Its intended for trendy looking room lighting - whether its suitable for what you want, you'll have to decide.

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
Copper pipe is conductive for sure...
But depending on the environment it may corrode to the point where contact is flaky but wiping action (force/friction from contacts sliding on it) "should" keep it clean in that area. No guarantees though..

Whats wrong with a cable carrier? They work fantastic..
What material is your "linear mover" constructed of?
Any needs to meet safety regulations of any sort for this product?

Dritech

Joined Sep 21, 2011
This project is still on the drawing board, so nothing is constructed yet :)

I don't want to use cable carriers because I need the camera rail to be of different lengths for different applications. For this reason I am going to make the rail modular, with a single module being approx 1m in length.
So if for one application I need a rail of one meter, all I do is just use one module. For other applications I would be requiring a 3m rail, so in such case I would connect three modules together.

Are there any type a flat bars which are good conductors and which does not get corroded easily?

Hope this explains my idea, and sorry for my poor English.

blocco a spirale

Joined Jun 18, 2008
Have you considered using linear bearings running on stainless steel bars? I don't know how effective these bearings are at passing current but it's worth investigating.

alfacliff

Joined Dec 13, 2013
there is a product called "cool amp" that is a dry silver plating powder. it goes on easily and will make the connection much more conductive. they do send samples.

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
Are there any type a flat bars which are good conductors and which does not get corroded easily?
There are plenty of platings that could be applied.

Copper is typically tin or silver plated to increase is resistance to corrosion..
Nickel or silver plated brass,etc...
Zinc plating/etc...

Plating choices are dictated by material and the expected environment.. Moisture/salt exposure/chemicals,etc...

Most electrical outlets/power strips,etc.. use brass and many just leave it raw.. some plate it..
However the 12VDC isn't as "capable" as 120/240V of piercing any oxidation on it..

Dritech

Joined Sep 21, 2011
Thanks for the replies.

@blocco a spirale , I just tested a linear bearing which I had in my garage. The resistance between the steels balls and the bearing housing is approx 1.1ohms and the resistance for a 1m long rail is approx 0.2ohms. I think your idea should work :) Thanks.

Sensacell

Joined Jun 19, 2012
Be careful passing current through any type of mechanical bearing- you will find that they are rapidly destroyed by spark erosion.
It's like an EDM machine on a micro scale, eats the bearings for breakfast.