condenser motor circuits

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by reabdet, Jun 1, 2012.

1. reabdet

Thread Starter New Member

Jun 1, 2012
    I had a panasonic motor fail in a bath vent fan. It has an external 2.2mf 250 volt electrolitic cap. The cap is tapped into the hot lead creating an additional red wire to the motor.

I opend the motor and all there is a circuit board that only has what appears to be a diode of sort with a panasonic logo n127062 2A. The red lead from the cap goes on one end and the black lead to the other. The motor has 8 poles and is wired for 115 votls ac.

My question about the n127062. It is unlike any other diode I have seen and it shows open both ways when removed from the circuit. I suspect that is the failed component but I have no idea what is it and cannot find any data for it.

Panasonic calls the motor a "condenser" type motor. Does anyone know how that motor circuit works and what that semiconductor is?

Thanks , Jim

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    "Condenser motor" or "condensor motor" search comes up with air conditioner parts.
    Model number of the whole fan would help. Photos would help. Telling us if it is a multi speed fan would help.

C'mon. Go nuts. Spill the beans!

3. reabdet

Jun 1, 2012
    It is a Panasonic Model FV-08VQ3

"we designed the electrical configuration of this model's condenser motor to allow it to operate at lower temperatures,"

That is from the literature on the fan. "condenser". I cannot post photos because I sent the fan with a friend who was going to take it to work and ask about it. I'll have it back tonight.

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    Page 6 shows an overheat protector.
    It appears rather distantly removed from the capacitor in the circuit drawing but it is, in reality, connected as you described.

5. reabdet

Jun 1, 2012
    There is only one component on the circuit board inside the motor so it must be a "fuse". It does indeed say 2A on the component in addition to the logo and n127062.

Thanks for the good work in tracking this down for me. Makes me feel great but slightly dumb for not thinking that strange looking component could be a fuse. Thanks again. This forum is great. Jim

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    Be aware: Thermal links are very dependable. They almost never fail without a reason. Try the motor for a few seconds by shorting out the thermal protector with a 2 amp fuse. It probably won't run. Then you won't spend a week seareching for a thermal link only to find it doesn't fix anything.

7. reabdet

Jun 1, 2012
    I have a in line fuse holder that I will install in the power lead and short the thermal protector. You are probably correct that the problem is in the coil windings. I will no doubt end up buying another $40 replacement motor but at least I know something about fan motors now. Thanks again.

Jim, age 67 and retired but never too old to learn.

8. reabdet

Jun 1, 2012

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    Did you miss the idea in post#6 that says, Try giving the motor some power through a 2 amp fuse before you buy parts? or did you verify the motor will run if you just replace the safety device?