Concept of laying out devices onto a PCB?

tyblu

Joined Nov 29, 2010
If you want to see a crazy autorouter, check out TopR. I will be using for aesthetics alone ;) (PS: I hate autorouters as a general rule).

tyblu

Joined Nov 29, 2010
I wouldn't buy it anyway, seeing the results don't really seem to be that good. Especially on a complex layout with the BGAs. I don't deal with high speed logic or BGAs (thankfully), so I don't know enough to make a judgement, but the traces were all over the place. :confused:
Take a look at the signal integrity data, they give. Looks pretty good.

marshallf3

Joined Jul 26, 2010
As a total novice to DipTrace and while laying out a relatively simple board, I found that the first step that worked best for me was to manually route crucial traces. I then allowed DipTrace to route nets one at a time while constraining the routing to one layer of the PCB. During this process, I made some manual corrections to some of the nets as they were auto-routed (such as rotating components.) Then, as a last step, I looked for (and found) several opportunities to reduce overall trace length by moving selected trace segments to the opposite board layer. As a result, I avoided vias since all the layer changes took place at component through holes.
Place components, connect the pins then just let it route double sided which I believe it defaults to. After it's done you can move traces around as you like but it's normally a good output. I just tighten up the specs on the checking part until I get a ton of errors, back it off until I only have a few then tweak those. After that I export everything as a .zip file and send it to http://www.freedfm.com for a second opinion.

If dealing with RF or very high speed logic tweak carefully, last RF board I did I manually routed because it needed to be one sided.