Computer Logics and Digital Design

shteii01

Joined Feb 19, 2010
One of the flaw in those counters is that they start at 1. Both slides say: start at 1, count to 5, 1->2->3->4->5->1.

You need: start at 0, count to 23, 0->1->2->....->23->0

Your counter needs to be:
0 (midnight)
1 (1am)
2 (2am)
3 (3am)
11 (11am)
12 (12pm)
13 (1pm)
14 (2pm)
22 (10pm)
23 (11pm)
0 (midnight, return to the start of the table)

divaremy

Joined Mar 31, 2014
ok awesome so for the times that i need for the clock, should i put a 1 in the box or should i derive it from the truth table. im still having a hard time. sigh, im going crazy.

tshuck

Joined Oct 18, 2012
It sounds like you are allowing yourself to get distracted by things you'll need to do in the future. Take a small break and come back to it remembering that everything depends on what time it is.

At the moment, you need a Mod-24 counter(counts 0 - 23), which ends up requiring 5 bits. This counter, once you have it, will be the basis for everything later, so give the counter your main focus. Make the counter, the rest will come after..

Look at the modulus counter thread I linked earlier, that should help you.

tshuck

Joined Oct 18, 2012
The state transitions for your counter....

Simply looking at a K-map means someone has to go back and figure out why you put a 1 in a certain cell, where if you were to supply the state transition table, you wouldn't force someone to recreate your work just to check it.

I don't have time for riddles either. You need to convey your process more clearly.

tshuck

Joined Oct 18, 2012
but i already link u the truth table, doesnt that show it?
In a convoluted way, yes, however, the state table shows what the current count is and what the next count should be, that way, we can see what your input-forming logic should be to make that count. As is, you have the current count and the next count's input-forming logic, making us have to rework the logic to verify what you want. This takes time and requires us to pay attention to make sure you didn't make any mistakes.

tshuck

Joined Oct 18, 2012
You are using the overlay method of a 5-variable K-map, which means you can't do the grouping like the following:

The Gray Code style K-map is where you can group along an imaginary mirrored border, but you have used the overlay method.

See the difference in methods here.