computer HDD?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by Mathematics!, Mar 20, 2010.

1. Mathematics!

Thread Starter Senior Member

Jul 21, 2008
    Ok , I have also tried to swap out my HDD on my computer with my other HDD from another computer. They are both IDE/ATA harddrives (PATA)
    They both use 4pin molex connectors to power them 12 volts , GND , GND , 5volts

ANd they both use 40pin ribbon connector for data transfering.

One harddrive has windows 2000 on it the other harddrive has windows xp.
    I believe but are not 100% sure they both use a file system format NTFS.

My question is when I switch out one of my harddrives into the other computer I get this blue screen saying
    Inaccessible boot device" blue screen
    check if the cables are installed correctly and reboot ,...etc etc
    I know the cables and hardware is installed correctly.... so I don't understand what is going wrong?

I looked in the Bios but I didn't come across any setting that would effect the HDD from booting....
    The only thing I am looking at is maybe the jumper they all are set to cable select (which most of all my harddrives are set to even the one that was working in this machine before I switched it out)
    I don't really thing moving it to master would be any benifit if their is just one HDD in the machine to begin with.

Both machines are around 2003/2004

I think where it is crashing and giving me the blue screen is right when you see the windows screen (so it is crashing at a bootloader or something) That means the bios actually handed control off to the master boot record code that it thru into memory.....

Also one of my bios is old so could this be a barrier problem or LBA/CHS problem.....? I am take a harddrive that was in my older computer/older bios and putting it in my newer computer....

the HDD is 40GB and my bios has it listed correctly as that the original HDD in my newer computer was 75 GB and the bios had no barrier with this.... so I really don't think it is that.

I know that both the HDD's are good because they work in the computers they came with and still do if I put them back.... so it is not a defective sector or HDD

I also know that the chipsets are almost exactly the same

What the *** less could it be and how do I fix it??????????????????????????????
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2010
  2. SgtWookie

Jul 17, 2007
    I wouldn't swap drives configured for booting one machine to a different machine unless both machines are identical.

You are begging for disaster.
  3. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    Of the two drives, one will boot an OS that works with the hardware devices in the computer and the other will not. The format on the HD has nothing at all to do with booting. You may find one drive is strapped for a slave or cable select, when the computer's BIOS expects to see one strapped for primary master.

However, booting up another OS configured for different hardware might create interesting problems. If you want a second drive on your system, just format the second one. If you want to have a second good drive, use a utility like XXCLONE to duplicate the OS onto it.
  4. Mathematics!

Jul 21, 2008
    I do this all the time this was part of my job a while back I use to swap sata laptop HDD into desktop computers to recover data ,....etc when the mobo died out on the old computer....

I have mostly worked with swapping sata drives...
    But I have swapped a few IDE/ATA (PATA) drives out back then.
    However I am wondering why it is not working for these 2 devices both use the same 40pin ribbon , 4 pin molex connectors. Same voltages ,...etc

Just wondering if anybody was more of an expert on this then I am and could remedy this problem?

Thanks for the reply
    The harddrives involved are
    HDD WDC WD800BB-75AA0 75GB I am trying to swap it out With an older harddrive HDD WD-WMAD19904552 40GB
  5. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    Get an external hard drive enclosure, mount the backup in it, and use USB or Firewire to transmit data. Lots easier.
  6. Mathematics!

Jul 21, 2008
    I didn't know they sold these things.
    Are the harddrive enclosures your talking about convert IDE or SATA to usb or firewire because if not then these IDE or SATA internal HDD drives
    would still have to be internally connected to IDE or SATA cables and a power supply.

UMMM do these enclosurse you are talking about come with IDE or SATA to USB or firewire converter chips/circuitary or are they just enclosure cases?
    If they are just cases I cann't see this being very useful.

Basically if they do I have circuitary in them to do this then basically any IDE or SATA internal harddrive could be converted into an external usb HDD drive.... and visa-versa.

Thanks hope it is true
    Also if true , how much and where can I get these .... could I pick them up at a local bestbuy or target or is the only way to order online.

Hopefully they are not expensive
  7. rjenkins

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 6, 2005
    They take a standard IDE or SATA drive (depending which type of case you get) and have an external USB interface.

The ones for 3.5" drives also have a power supply with them, the ones for notebook 2.5" drives are just USB powered.

They are readily available on ebay and some computer shops keep them. I got my original ones from ebay, 6- for a 2.5 and 14- for a 3.5 IDE type.

Lately I've got two SATA ones from a local shop for virtually the same prices.

You can also get an open 'dock' unit that you stand a bare drive in endways as a convenient way of transferring data.
  8. Mathematics!

Jul 21, 2008
    Excellent thanks never new this ... and pretty cheap to.
  9. peck68

Nov 27, 2009
    If you swap from AMD to Intel you are certainly in troubles. I had this problem with a very old 2gb (crikey) HDD that ran 95 on an AMD and just wouldnt work with a device failure on my Intel.

One way around everything though (can saves you dosh) set your jumpers to slave, then connect it as a secondary harddrive to your current harddrive. There you can access all the files as if you were running it ;) it acts as a secondary memory storage then
    It appears as another disk in your my computer