Compute the measurement of the oscilloscope

SilverKing

Joined Feb 2, 2014
Hi everyone.

I've a problem I need help to solve it. The problem states:
"An instrument (oscilloscope) is prepared to measure a sinusoidal periodic wave, compute the measurement error if the same instrument is used to measure the wave indicated in figure 1

(The wave is much more like a sawtooth wave, sorry for bad drawing)

Actually, I don't how to start, should I assume that sinusoidal wave is 4V peak (from 6V to 10V above, and 6V to 2V below) and substracting the values?

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
What characteristic of the signal are you measuring? Distortion (and, hence, 'error') will be a function of the instrument's input bandwidth and sweep linearity -- neither of which are stipulated in the 'problem'...:confused:

Best regards
HP

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
What does it mean to "prepare an oscilloscope to measure a sinusoidal wave"?

What does it mean to "measure" a waveform?

SilverKing

Joined Feb 2, 2014
It turns out that the solution lies in the 'k' factor - which Vrms over Vavg -, and every oscilloscope is designed with k equal to 1.11 (sinusoidal wave 0.707/0.632), so to solve this problem, I've to determine both the Vrms and the Vavg of the triangular wave and compute the error with respect to the default k (1.11).

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
It turns out that the solution lies in the 'k' factor - which Vrms over Vavg -, and every oscilloscope is designed with k equal to 1.11 (sinusoidal wave 0.707/0.632), so to solve this problem, I've to determine both the Vrms and the Vavg of the triangular wave and compute the error with respect to the default k (1.11).
This makes even less sense than the rest of the problem description you've provided. For a sinusoidal waveform Vavg is identically zero, making your 'k' value infinite.