Components

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
Can I buy an assortment of resistors and capictors and such or do I have to buy them individually
Most places that sell components do resistor kits - say 10 each of the decades of the E12 preferred values, you can usually find capacitor assortment packs and sometimes more exotic parts like 7-segment displays.

A very long time ago, before I started shaving - I used to visit all the electronics firms on the local industrial estate, scrounging components.

Sometimes the parts racks get knocked over, the spilled components usually get swept up and tipped in a box - no one can bring themselves to bin them but sorting them back into the parts bins wouldn't make economic sense - they're usually quite relieved to give them to a good home. Sometimes they even have components they no longer use.

Peter basolo

Joined Nov 24, 2014
Most places that sell components do resistor kits - say 10 each of the decades of the E12 preferred values, you can usually find capacitor assortment packs and sometimes more exotic parts like 7-segment displays.

A very long time ago, before I started shaving - I used to visit all the electronics firms on the local industrial estate, scrounging components.

Sometimes the parts racks get knocked over, the spilled components usually get swept up and tipped in a box - no one can bring themselves to bin them but sorting them back into the parts bins wouldn't make economic sense - they're usually quite relieved to give them to a good home. Sometimes they even have components they no longer use.
That's a good idea what should I ask and who should I ask? Like radio shack or a bigger company?

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
That's a good idea what should I ask and who should I ask? Like radio shack or a bigger company?
Shops won't give you anything for free - that's why some have reduced to clear baskets.

I did say ask electronics firms - they need to get the production done, not sort through heaps of spilled components.