Component substitution in simple remote schematic

Butterworth

Joined May 6, 2009
Hello Everyone,

I have a relatively simple, yet eluding question that I am not sure if can work as I hope, without proper advice from the pros, so here it is...

I have found a schematic online for a simple remote for a Canon Rebel T3 DSLR camera. Its purpose was to mimic the OEM version using momentary push switches and a DPDT rocker (or toggle) switch, hooked up to the camera via a 2.5mm stereo jack. My question to all of you is, can I substitue the momentary switches (2 of them) for a single DPDT momentary push switch, and still keep the original outcome of the design's functionality? The attached schematic shows the original design intent.

Operation of the remote is as follows:
  1. Pressing button 1 operates the meter for Autofocus in the camera,
  2. Pressing button 2 in succession with button 1 operates the shutter release in the camera, taking the picture.
  3. Button 3 (DPDT rockerswitch) is used for Bulb exposures, locking the shutter open without any metering.
Thank you in advance to all who offer their thoughts.

Attachments

Butterworth

Joined May 6, 2009
Hi GoherT, thank you for the reply. I see what you mean about the shutter releasing before the AF does its job. Could a multi stage dpdt push swith solve this problem? I have seen them on various component sites. The ones I an thinking about have a half push activating the first button stage and the full push activating the second.

Last edited: