Component Organization Ideas

gte

Joined Sep 18, 2009
I'm starting to accumulate a fair amount of extra components, capacitors, resistors, transistors, etc and am looking for some options to organize and keep track of them.

Thoughts, ideas?

gte

Joined Sep 18, 2009
Thanks!

Is there a place locally to buy the drawers method? Maybe they carry something like that at walmart?

KL7AJ

Joined Nov 4, 2008
"....
Well, we’re almost halfway there. We now come to Method Six of self-destruction: choking on small parts. This is actually more of a hazard than it was in days of yore, because——well——radios are smaller nowadays.
To be honest, the only time I really came close to choking to death on a small part, other than, perhaps, some prehistoric experience during my infancy, was when a transistor (I believe) had fallen, unbeknownst, into my coffee from an overhead shelf. (See how all these safety issues can be related?) I think I actually swallowed the item in question. In any case, it was a most unpleasant, and best unrepeated, experience.
Now, as unlikely as you are to undergo a similar trauma, you may (in fact, you should, if you are a ham worthy of the name) occasionally entertain young visitors in your ham shack. Young people, up to the age of around nineteen or so, have a penchant for inserting small foreign objects into their mouths and other orifices not intended for such. Be ever on the alert for this eventuality. Keep easily swallowed parts in appropriate bins until ready for use. In fact, you might even entertain the notion of labeling said bins, so as to more readily find the parts in question. This is a wonderful, innovative idea, though I have yet to encounter any ham who’s actually implemented it....."

:)
Eric

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
To the OP: Walmart has some, Lowe's has a better selection - judging from local stores.

To KL7AJ: Mine are labeled (at least the ones with electronic parts).

Dx3

Joined Jun 19, 2010
My preference is the Wal-mart 48 drawer cabinets. 6 wide, 8 tall. I have found that using dividers doesn't work. You can't get the resistors in a half drawer without bending the leads. The dividers fall over. Parts try to sneak under the dividers.

Then, there is a use for a cabinet with assorted size drawers. Some parts are just LARGE, like D batteries and cabinet handles.

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
I have found that using dividers doesn't work. You can't get the resistors in a half drawer without bending the leads
True of resistors, but not of radial leaded capacitors, switches, small hardware, connectors, etc. You never have to use them, but it can make the space allocation work better.

Last edited:

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
I also use the Arts and Crafts plastic boxes for my AAC writing projects, though they aren't as efficient as the bag method. The bags pack very compactly, unlike drawers (tried that too, not very good).

If you go with sensitive components (as in ESD sensitive) think something like static foam. Tanners (a local electronics retailer) sells it for 29¢ a square, and I cut the squares in two for the Craft boxes.

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
Remember to keep your cmos and other static sensitive stuff in ESD bags or containers when storing in these. Also, get yourself a wrist strap for static discharging.

I use a mat, and a wriststrap that I connect to a grounded device.. I clip it to the back of my PC or to a ground lug on some equipment.

I get mine here:
http://www.elexp.com/ant_csk1.htm

Or at least just get the strap:
http://www.elexp.com/ant_s150.htm

Attachments

gte

Joined Sep 18, 2009
Ahhhh .... crap

I saw this in the description
It connects easily with ground cord and an adjustable wrist strap.
and thought that it did not come with one because of the way that line is worded