Component Identification

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by vaiorefurbs, Jun 20, 2014.

1. vaiorefurbs

Thread Starter New Member

Jun 20, 2014
    Trying to Identify this component from a Macbook motherboad, any help appreciated.

2. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    Looks like a tantalum electrolytic capacitor, 68μF/16V.

vaiorefurbs likes this.
  3. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    +1, SMT version.
    Max.

vaiorefurbs likes this.
  4. Billy4184

Jun 20, 2014
    Sure picked a hard one, I'm betting it is Hua Ko Electronics but they don't even seem to have a website. Maybe 16k 686Mhz ram or something? Sorry, I don't have anything else.

Edit: Looks like the experts are in agreement

5. wayneh

Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    Are you trying to do Mac motherboard repair? Good luck. They look far too complex for working on without a high level of experience and the right tools. They're multilayer, for one thing.

6. THE_RB

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 11, 2008
    Definitely 68uF 16v tantalum K series. Looks D size. The striped end is the + terminal.

vaiorefurbs likes this.
  7. dougc314

Dec 20, 2013
    Its absolutely a capacitor as previously identified. Also usually when they fail they burn so it looks good. You can get a rudimentary idea if its OK with a DVM. Set for Ohms (resistance), and place the pos lead on the striped end and the neg lead on the other. The meter should read open. It may read a resistance for a small time, but should go open. Many DVMs these days can measure capacitance so if you get your hands on one of those you can test it even better. If you do measure the capacitance don't be alarmed if its 20% off, that's OK.

absf likes this.
  8. vaiorefurbs

Thread Starter New Member

Jun 20, 2014
    Thanks for all your help. The motherboard had suffered liquid damage but other than this component which had corroded and come loose, everything else looks OK. I'm going to replace it and cross my fingers!!