Component Identification

sundancer87

Joined Nov 12, 2011
I'm as a loss at to actually what the component is.

I have a 110 volt AC to 12 volt DC switching power supply used in a wine cooler.

One of the SCRs blew itself in half for an unknown reason. The part number is 13005-2 with a V5 on the upper portion of the body.

I've gone to my ancient NTE book and nteinc online and have found two different possible components as being this particular critter.

The 12 volt output is protected by a 5 amp fuse which didn't blow nor did the 2.5 amp fuse on the input 110 volt side.

My part number crosses to NTE's NTE51 which, according to the specs, probably is the correct replacement component.

The part number in my old NTE book comes back as a 5527 which is a 25 amp SCR but has a TO48 form factor so it can't be this one.

I don't have a question per se, I guess I just need confirmation from the much wiser than me crowd that the NTE51 is what I need to order.

KJ6EAD

Joined Apr 30, 2011
It's quite possible that the device, probably a transistor as mentioned above, failed because the output capacitor(s) failed first.

Last edited:

sundancer87

Joined Nov 12, 2011
Can you post a picture of the component? What package is it?

Could it be a MJE13005 (that's a transistor) ?
I can do a photo tomorrow probably. The package is similar to a normal TO220 except it doesn't have the indents at the sides of the tab. I think the package is called a TO220mbe or something like that.

The MJE13005 has the same values as the NTE51.

sundancer87

Joined Nov 12, 2011
It's quite possible that the device, probably a transistor as mentioned above, failed because the output capacitor(s) failed first.
Thanks for that bit of advice. I pulled the base resistor and it checked good but it shows it had suffered extreme heat at one time. The PCB is discolored where the component was mounted also.

I'll pull the capacitor too and give it a check as well, probably replace it just because.

sundancer87

Joined Nov 12, 2011
You mentioned SCR. The NTE51 as the MJE13005 are npn transistors. ;)
See, that's why I came here and asked. They all look like transistors or SCRs to me!!! I have the resistor and capacitor thing down though.

After looking all over the Internet and in my old book, old age and confusion quickly set in.

Fortunately I have been able to find the exact replacement power supply board. It's on order but I wanted the challenge to bring the dead one back from the grave.