Component Identification

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by CircuitSurfer, Oct 25, 2009.

1. CircuitSurfer

Thread Starter New Member

Sep 19, 2009
    I came upon this bead and not sure whether its a tantalum capacitor. The picture is not so great.

Also there were many rectangular things. I've attached a picture of the symbol underneath it.

Can someone tell me what these parts are?

• Q1.JPG
      Q1.JPG
      File size:
      84.8 KB
      Views:
    • Q2.jpg
      Q2.jpg
      File size:
      108.7 KB
      Views:
    • Q3.JPG
      Q3.JPG
      File size:
      117.5 KB
      Views:
  2. hgmjr

Jan 28, 2005
    It appears to be a 68uFd tantalum capacitor. The 6 by itself may be indicative of 6V rating.

hgmjr

3. CircuitSurfer

Sep 19, 2009
    Thanks for clearing it up about the tantalum capacitor. I'm still trying to figure out what the other part is.

4. ELECTRONERD

May 26, 2009
    It certainly isn't a axial tant cap, It must be a radial tant cap.

5. hgmjr

Jan 28, 2005
    The site that has the outline that looks something like a figure-8 is most likely a removable shorting link.

hgmjr

6. ELECTRONERD

May 26, 2009
    hgmjr,

I think you posted in the wrong thread; the one referring to the missing schematic for some power supply.

Austin

7. SgtWookie

Expert

Jul 17, 2007
    Austin,
    Take a look at the rightmost pic that our OP attached to his initial post; that's what hgmjr's referring to.

Since it has a reference designator beginning with an F, I'd thing that a fusible link (or just a plain fuse) would be a good guess. Hard to say what value they'd be without knowing more about the specifications of the parts they're in there to protect.

8. ELECTRONERD

May 26, 2009
    Thanks SgtWookie, when he said "site" that confused me. It is, of course, a site but I was thinking of it being only a picture.

Austin

9. CircuitSurfer

Sep 19, 2009
    I wasn't talking about the capacitor. I wanted to know what the rectangular thing was for. The pictures are from a SONY HD satellite receiver. The rectangular components were dispersed throughout the board and there were many of them.