Component help - electrically-controlled expandable rod

icydash

Joined Jan 14, 2009
Hey all,

I'm working on a project and could use some advice for a component part. The project is a small robot that's about two inches long. The robot needs to have some kind of microcontroller-controllable retractable/expandable rod or arm that fits within about an inch space, but can expand out to about 3 inches. That arm will have a sensor on the end and reach out and "touch" things. I'm not sure what to do for the expandable arm component. I've been thinking of some kind of electronic antenna (telescopic antenna) thing, or a solenoid (but these don't seem to run on 5v - 12v and have that length of stroke), but I could really use some help!

Of course the cheaper and sturdier the better (because if the robot runs into a wall, I don't want the arm to bend).

Thanks in advance.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
You need a small DC motor that can rotate a threaded nut. The arm will be a threaded bolt that moves linearly through the nut when the nut is rotated.

KL7AJ

Joined Nov 4, 2008
Hey all,

I'm working on a project and could use some advice for a component part. The project is a small robot that's about two inches long. The robot needs to have some kind of microcontroller-controllable retractable/expandable rod or arm that fits within about an inch space, but can expand out to about 3 inches. That arm will have a sensor on the end and reach out and "touch" things. I'm not sure what to do for the expandable arm component. I've been thinking of some kind of electronic antenna (telescopic antenna) thing, or a solenoid (but these don't seem to run on 5v - 12v and have that length of stroke), but I could really use some help!

Of course the cheaper and sturdier the better (because if the robot runs into a wall, I don't want the arm to bend).

Thanks in advance.
It's called a "linear Actuator" and they're available from a variety of sources...quite cheaply, too

icydash

Joined Jan 14, 2009
Thanks everyone!

I tried looking up linear actuators, but all the ones I can find seem to be extremely expensive ($50+) and heavy duty (for like 100+ lbs). For example, see: http://www.robotgeek.com/linear-actuators ... I found some cheaper linear servos that are in the right price range, but they have a stroke on the order of millimeters instead of inches. Any specific links to cheaper alternatives that meet the stroke requirement would be greatly appreciated. It only needs to have a 2-3 inch stroke and support like 1 lb.

I also tried to find some sort of cheap, integrated DC motor and threaded screw/jack screw component, but couldn't find one.

I also thought about using a scissor arm of some kind, but I'm not sure how to actuate it. But it seems like that may take up the least footprint when retracted and still meet the stroke length when expanded.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
You can make your own miniature nut & screw drive.
Couple a long threaded bolt to the shaft of your toy motor. Now you can mount a threaded nut or hollow standoff on to the bolt.

icydash

Joined Jan 14, 2009
You can make your own miniature nut & screw drive.
Couple a long threaded bolt to the shaft of your toy motor. Now you can mount a threaded nut or hollow standoff on to the bolt.
Thanks for the suggestion, but I'm not quite sure I understand how this works. I attach a threaded bolt to the shaft of my motor, and put a threaded nut around the bolt...but then what do I do with the nut? Do I couple the nut to the housing? So that, as the motor spins the threaded bolt, it moves the threaded bolt through the nut? But wouldn't the motor also have to be coupled to the housing to get the threaded bolt to spin (so that the motor itself doesn't just spin around)? But if the motor is coupled to the housing, then the motor wouldn't be able to move/translate, and the threaded bolt would not be able to progress forward through the nut because the motor wouldn't be able to move... *scratches head*

Thanks for the suggestion. I actually looked into this component, but it's far too expensive. These actuators start at $40 and go way, way up. Do you know of anythign similar but cheaper? I'm looking for a less than $10 solution.

ronv

Joined Nov 12, 2008
Part of the problem is that you want it to extend further than the device is long, so it will take multiple sections like an antenna. Unless your a machinist finding something that size is not likely. You might be able to make it out of tubing I suppose.

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
Perhaps you could make a miniature version of a roll-up spring-steel tape measure, using a length of fine piano-wire wound on to a motorised drum?

icydash

Joined Jan 14, 2009
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. That roll up tape measure solution is interesting, maybe i'll give something like that a try.

Totally random and separate question: I want to 3D print some of my components that have weird shapes. We have a local place that can 3D print, but I need to provide the design file. Do you guys know of any good, free software for 3D modelling? There's a bunch of stuff that came up when I googled, just figured I'd see if you pros have any recommendations =)