Compliment to relay

Discussion in 'Electronics Resources' started by Kenah, Jan 24, 2015.

1. Kenah

Thread Starter New Member

Jan 24, 2015
    What would be the compliment to a relay
    i.e. detects a higher voltage / current and outputs a 3.5-5v digital signal?
    Thanks for help

2. ScottWang

Aug 23, 2012
    What's the purpose of the relay?
    You may using a LM393 Or LM339 to detecting the Voltage and output a voltage, maybe you want to using the output voltage to drive a relay, if you do so then you should adding a bjt to drive the relay.

Kenah likes this.
  3. Kenah

Thread Starter New Member

Jan 24, 2015
    Thanks for this - and what, please, would detect the presence on a voltage / current?
    Thanks

4. ScottWang

Aug 23, 2012
    You need to specific how is the voltage and current, and describe more details about what you trying to do?

5. MikeML

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 2, 2009
    Look at a TL431

6. wmodavis

Oct 23, 2010
    In Boolean theory the complement is also referred to as the NOT function.

Therefore based on logic to answer your question "What would be the compliment to a relay?" is NOT a relay.

7. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    I think the OP meant Complement not compliment, subtle difference.
    So it could be all manner of solid state devices, transistor, mosfet, IC, etc?
    As asked, more info needed??
    Max.

8. Chancepe

Jan 29, 2015
    Consider adding a PTC fuse in the pack to prevent fires from short-circuits. Also, don't try to solder up a pack yourself. mcse The heat from soldering will damage the cell internals.

9. sirch2

Jan 21, 2013
    Sounds like a relay with a higher voltage coil, e.g. a relay designed with a 240v coil can switch 5V.

However I am wondering about your use of the term "detects", perhaps you want a current transformer and a transistor to do the switching.

10. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    I still don't get the question.

Would someone care to enlighten me?

11. ScottWang

Aug 23, 2012
    Not just you, I already asked the details in #4, but there is no response, does you think will this become a dead thread?

12. wmodavis

Oct 23, 2010
    The "?" in the OP would be suggestive of someone asking a question.
    However I have done a thorough analysis of the word and letter patterns and the evidence is conclusive.

It is a mish-mash conglomeration of the same and the "?" is just a decoy.

13. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    So, in decoding the OP, I make the assumption that is an issue with the English language.

So the OP is really asking, "How does one detect a high voltage/current and output a logic signal at 3.5-5V levels?"

Thus the reference to a "compliment to a relay" is unimportant.

The simple solution is to use an analog comparator such as LM311, LM2901, LM339, for example.

14. wmodavis

Oct 23, 2010
    With the mish-mash conglomeration whether due to language (likely) or other possible causes, your guesses, my guesses and anyone guesses on what was on the mind of the thread starter have more or less equal odds of passing within striking distance of the not so clear target. So guess away.