Complete Noob at PIC16F74 - i have no clue

ak360

Joined Jan 18, 2009
Hi Guys,

I have been searching and searching online for an answer but I cannot find one - I have a 20Mhz oscillator (X0-53B) and it has 4 Pins -
1 = NC
14 = VDD
7 = GND
8 = OUT

Now this image is under the datasheet for the PIC16F74

The crystal is connected to the OSC1 and OSC2 of the microcontroller - but i dont have 2 output pins on my oscillator - just ONE output pin:

Which one of the pins do i connect to OSC1 and OSC2?

another question - I am using PICBasic (basic language) to program my PIC. What are some of the initial commands you should write

I know that I need to write DEFINE OSC 20 to tell the PIC that I am using a 20Mhz oscillator, but what other commands do I need?

PLEASE HELP! :(

Attachments

russ_hensel

Joined Jan 11, 2009
Not familiar with the part, but it seems to be an oscillator not a crystal. I believe the pic can be configured to use an external oscillator and a clock in pin. See the spec sheet.

t06afre

Joined May 11, 2009
Your oscillator is a compleate IC oscillator. If you do as n9352527 suggest it should work fine. I have not worked with PIC for a while. It could be that have to set a bit in a register telling the PIC that you are using an external oscillator

ak360

Joined Jan 18, 2009
I am still having problems in configuring the PIC to tell it at which frequency I am running at. I am aware that it is address 2007h which controls this - the problem is I have no clue how to access this address.

I am using PICBasic as the language - someone please help :(