Complete newbie electronics question....

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by bajaddict, Dec 19, 2009.

1. bajaddict

Thread Starter New Member

Dec 19, 2009
    Okay, let me start off by saying that my knowledge of electronics consists of the ability to change out a light switch without frying myself or burning down the house. So the questions that I have will probably seem elementary and perhaps invoke ridicule :p No worries, I've got a thick skin ;)

I've made a device that generates power 24 / 7 / 365 at the cost of about 100 bucks..... it takes no external power to operate and would produce power at every home and business. It runs off of an inert energy source, you need do nothing to power it. So with thoughts of patents & yachts in my head, I have the device connected through a solar charge controller & am attempting to charge a 12V deep cycle battery.

Now for the ridiculous portion of this puzzle..... it producers power, but not much. The output varies from 8 to 18 MV.

Can I do anything with this amount of power, besides look like a fool?

It charges the battery a little, but not to full charge. Will it ever?

I've looked at charge pumps, etc... to increase the voltage, but I can't find one that will take this low of an input. Is there an "off the shelf" device that can increase this low amount of power? I say "off the shelf" as wiring the devices in series / parallel made my head hurt.

If I do find a voltage increaser, can I put subsequent increasers downstream of that to step up the power one increment at a time?

Besides buying a copy of Electronics For Dummies, is there any advice that you impart.

Thanks in advance! I know from reading a few of the threads here that these questions are probably elementary to most of you.... I appreciate any advice that you care to give, even if it is "don't quit the day job".

2. hgmjr

Jan 28, 2005
  3. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    That is not power, only voltage. Power is voltage multiplied by current.

If your device can output that 18 mv and produce 100 amps of current, that is 1.8 watts of power. Consider that against, say, a LED. A typical LED uses about 30mw. But it needs something over 1.5 volts to go into conduction.

Anyway, until you can characterize the current output, you have no idea about the level of power this device can produce.

4. bajaddict

Thread Starter New Member

Dec 19, 2009
    Hmmmmmm..... I tried measuring it with my multimeter (after watching a youtube video on how to measure it in series) but got no reading whatsoever. I probably need to more than $13 for a more sensitive meter, or operator error is at fault.