Complete newb.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by DfctvDtctv, Jan 14, 2011.

1. DfctvDtctv

Thread Starter New Member

Jan 14, 2011
    Hey all, just pushing myself out into the open to get introduced with whoever. Recently decided to take up circuitry, or building stuff in general as a hobby. I was wondering though, some of the stuff I have in mind to create so far are things easily found in stores, stuff like cameras, and other gadgets that seem to cost quite the lot if you want the good stuff; so what I am wondering is, would I be better off just buying the stuff? Or could it come out cheaper if it's homemade, if, hypothetically, I were a pro with the stuff?

I'm also thinking about taking some kind of course when I start college, though I haven't really looked into it yet; would I learn about the same amount by simply searching the stuff up?

2. retched

AAC Fanatic!

Dec 5, 2009
    Most stuff that requires any sort of accuracy, like camera (especially SLR's) are much cheaper to buy than build (with the same quality)
    Same with inverters and computers.

You really need quite expensive equipment to build and/or calibrate these things.

Also, you have to consider, buying parts in small quantities in the US (you didn't mention where your from) is never going to be as cheap as buying a product made from the components in China.

1 capacitor may cost .75cents. But 10,000 of them cost .03 cents.

Also, etching a PCB and soldering the components, is a loss (all depending if you value the time you spend on building it).

If you want to do this, I would recommend kits.

Kits are often a cheaper that a "built" option, but still gives you the satisfaction of building it.

3. spinnaker

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 29, 2009
    First off there is no way a newbie is going to be able to match the quality of manufacturing something like a digital camera. Just tying to fab the container would be a major undertaking.

To duplicate something like a camera would be a major undertaking even for the most experienced hobbyist.

Costs would be far beyond what you could buy it for in the store even if you had all the skills in optics, electronics and fabrication.

If you want to get into the hobby to learn something, challenge yourself and maybe build things that don't really exist in the market then you have picked a great hobby, if you are just looking for a way to save money, you for sure have picked the wrong hobby.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2011
  4. DfctvDtctv

Jan 14, 2011
    It was just an example, but I figured cameras would be out of question. I'm not really die-hard on saving money, cause I'm fine with spending it, I just needed to know whether I'd be better off buying from stores. I wasn't really sure what to decide on since I have no scientific knowledge on technology, only general stuff, but I've always been fascinated with how circuitry works, and inventing efficient tools.

Judging by what's been said though, guess I have quite a bit of fantasizing to brush off and hit the guides.

5. retched

AAC Fanatic!

Dec 5, 2009
    Start here:
    http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/vol_1/index.html

And when you get tired of reading, go here:
    http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/videos/index.html

Just watch them. Start at the first and go through.

I used a smart phone and would watch 1 or more every night before bed.

Just by watching them, even not understanding fully, helps make the stuff you read to make more sense.

There are great ways to do great things. The faster you get to understanding the material, the faster you can start making the coolest stuff.

Get started. ;)

6. DfctvDtctv

Jan 14, 2011
    Didn't see the links up top, seems like this site may have everything I need. p:

Sounds like a plan. Thanks a lot, man. :p

7. retched

AAC Fanatic!

Dec 5, 2009
    Maybe you should stick with poetry! ;)

8. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
    Hello,

Welcome to the forum.
    Good to hear you like the site.
    If you have any questions, start asking.
    We will be happy to answer the questions.

There is also the eBook, see the tabs on the top of the page.
    The eBook can be downloaded using the PDF sign at the right top on the index page of a volume.
    Did you also look at the useful websites thread:
    Useful websites for electronics (Ver. 2)
    Or the RF related links thread:
    RF related links

Bertus