Compiled BASIC ?

Discussion in 'Programmer's Corner' started by djsfantasi, Sep 1, 2013.

1. djsfantasi

Thread Starter AAC Fanatic!

Apr 11, 2010
    I was wondering about getting into micro controllers. I have extensive programming experience, but strangely am most comfortable with BASIC.
    I can also script in Windows or Linux, debug Java or C, design, code, and test.

I have an existing BASIC program that runs on a PC that I would like to port to a micro controller. Is there a mcu/IDE combo for BASIC that I could research?

2. sirch2

Jan 21, 2013
  3. blueroomelectronics

AAC Fanatic!

Jul 22, 2007
    An 18F series PIC and Swordfish BASIC would be much more flexible and far faster than the BASIC Stamp.

4. ErnieM

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 24, 2011
    Oshonsoft makes several Basic compilers for various PIC series. For personal use their price is quite reasonable.

I used one of these while back for code generation and found it quite good, far above the PIC Basic Compiler at a much higher price.

I never used the simulator much but it has one that seemed to work well

5. absf

Dec 29, 2010
    I use "Pic Basic Pro" on microchip and "BASCOM" on Atmel family chips.

Depending on the nature of your program that you're porting. Was it something with display and UART interfacing?

6. djsfantasi

Apr 11, 2010
    No display (except text for debugging; not necessary. can debug on PC). Heavy serial comms usage, though. The irony is that the program is the run time for a tokenized language I created for a custom application.

7. djsfantasi

Apr 11, 2010
    Your comments and a quick read through of the oshensoft manual. Are their libraries for timing events or playing Wav fils available in any of these suggestions?

Last edited: Sep 1, 2013
  8. ErnieM

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 24, 2011
    It's been a few years since I've used these products (I've moved over to Microchip's free C compiler). It is possible they have added such since I used them but I am not aware of any .wav playing code.

There are undoubtedly simple timing delays in a library (or statement) that may work depending on your workload and how accurate your time needs be.

9. djsfantasi

Apr 11, 2010
  10. nickelflipper

Jun 2, 2010
    GCBasic is an open source Basic, which can compile for both the PIC and AVR. It uses Free Basic to parse? GCBasic high level commands to assembler.

11. djsfantasi

Apr 11, 2010
    Why stick with Basic? Anyone familiar with FreeBASIC? It seems very C-like. That's what I am porting from.

12. ErnieM

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 24, 2011
    I would say because the OP states "but strangely am most comfortable with BASIC."

13. djsfantasi

Apr 11, 2010
    I am the OP. I was asking if anyone familiar with FreeBASIC and C could confirm that due to the similarities, if a port would be easy. Also, wondering if C libraries for timing and serial comms would be more available. In lesser priority, if libraries for playing sound files were available (lesser because of RBs Talkbot project)

14. ErnieM

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 24, 2011
    Oops... never mind.