Compiled BASIC ?

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
I was wondering about getting into micro controllers. I have extensive programming experience, but strangely am most comfortable with BASIC.
I can also script in Windows or Linux, debug Java or C, design, code, and test.

I have an existing BASIC program that runs on a PC that I would like to port to a micro controller. Is there a mcu/IDE combo for BASIC that I could research?

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
Oshonsoft makes several Basic compilers for various PIC series. For personal use their price is quite reasonable.

I used one of these while back for code generation and found it quite good, far above the PIC Basic Compiler at a much higher price.

I never used the simulator much but it has one that seemed to work well

absf

Joined Dec 29, 2010
I use "Pic Basic Pro" on microchip and "BASCOM" on Atmel family chips.

Depending on the nature of your program that you're porting. Was it something with display and UART interfacing?

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
No display (except text for debugging; not necessary. can debug on PC). Heavy serial comms usage, though. The irony is that the program is the run time for a tokenized language I created for a custom application.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Your comments and a quick read through of the oshensoft manual. Are their libraries for timing events or playing Wav fils available in any of these suggestions?

Last edited:

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
Your comments and a quick read through of the oshensoft manual. Are their libraries for timing events or playing Wav fils available in any of these suggestions?
It's been a few years since I've used these products (I've moved over to Microchip's free C compiler). It is possible they have added such since I used them but I am not aware of any .wav playing code.

There are undoubtedly simple timing delays in a library (or statement) that may work depending on your workload and how accurate your time needs be.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
I would say because the OP states "but strangely am most comfortable with BASIC."
I am the OP. I was asking if anyone familiar with FreeBASIC and C could confirm that due to the similarities, if a port would be easy. Also, wondering if C libraries for timing and serial comms would be more available. In lesser priority, if libraries for playing sound files were available (lesser because of RBs Talkbot project)