Compatibility Question About Gasoline Immersion

Status
Not open for further replies.

BillV

Joined Sep 17, 2012
I'm replacing the swingarm type fuel level sensor in a motorcycle with a non-moving design. The existing sensor arm moves a wiper on a potentiometer which sits inside the tank and is immersed in gas about half of the time (it's level dependent). The potentiometer elements are exposed and attached to what appears to be a ceramic board. It will be replaced with two solid state level sensors and the associated drive circuitry, which consists of five transistors (TO92), two capacitors, and seven resistors, all mounted on a FR4 board. Everything, board/sensors/interconnecting leads, will sit inside the tank and be immersed just like the swingarm sensor. The total power to the board will be about 1 watt. I'd prefer metal can transistors but the transistors that I'm using are not available in that package. I've provided information about the swingarm sensor so that (hopefully) people won't think that this is an exercise in self immolation.

Does anyone see any compatibility issues here? The sensors and their leads are made of compatible materials. I'm thinking of encapsulating the board, about 1"x2", with a clear epoxy but it's not apparent if this will make things any better or worse.

It may be totally irrelevant but, FYI, the fuel pump also sits inside the tank and is cooled by gas circulating through it.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
The owners of All About Circuits has elected not to host discussions of automotive electrical system modifications/enhancements due to safety concerns, the potential of legal ramifications and the possible circumvention of vehicle regulations at the state and federal level.

This thread is against the AAC forum rules, Chapter 6, as seen here:

6. Restricted topics. The following topics are regularly raised however are considered “off-topic” at all times and will results in Your thread being closed without question:

• Any kind of over-unity devices and systems
  • Automotive modifications
  • Devices designed to electrocute or shock another person
  • LEDs to mains
  • Phone jammers
  • Rail guns and high-energy projectile devices
  • Transformer-less power supplies
This can be found in our Terms of Service (ToS)

Automotive modifications (including motorcycle) of any kind are strictly forbidden. Therefore, this thread will be closed.

Please try to understand the reasons behind this action, and feel free to browse and use the forums.

You might find answers to your questions in one of these forums:

http://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/showthread.php?t=54400

Another good forum that shares many of the same membership is http://www.electro-tech-online.com/ . Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.