Comparator problem?

PRS

Joined Aug 24, 2008
Hello killer. Comparators don't involve truth tables in any way that I know of. What they do do is compare a voltage under test with a reference voltage. If the tested voltage is greater than the threshold voltage of the comparator, they output a specific voltage, usually 5 volts for TTL logic. You seem to be confusing a comparator with a decoder.

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
In order to get good anwers you need to make good questions. Asking how a comparator works is too vague. You mean how it is wired and with which component is it made of in order to perform the operation it does? If so, I already answered you in my previous post.

If you are wondering what does a comparator exactly do, well, that's easier: It compares.
It takes as an input two multidigit numbers A and B (4-bits in this case) and tells us which one is bigger. It has 3 output pins that correspond to 3 states A<B, A>B and A=B. It activates each accordingly to the situation. You can also specify its operation with more details in cases of parity, but that's too specific to care to explain.