comparator help

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by tiny747, Jul 31, 2010.

1. tiny747

Thread Starter New Member

Jul 31, 2010
    Hopefully I have an easy question. I am trying to use a comparator to switch on or off in relationship to a reference voltage. I am using a TLC3702 comparator, aka digikey part number 296-12188-5-ND. One input is from an amploc 25 found here http://www.amploc.com/AMP--55a.pdf. And the other input is a resistor division network with 5 volt supply using a 1 megaohm variable resistor with a center tap going to comparator. The output goes directly to a Mosfet. So my question is this, do I need to have a resistor on the inputs so that it doesn't hurt the comparator (load up)? If it does need a resistor so that the inputs don't overload how do I determine the correct size? As far as I think the offset voltages don't concern me because I can adjust for that with the variable pot? Right? Thanks in advance for your help.

2. tom66

May 9, 2009
    I don't have an answer to your main question, but a word of advice on the 1 megohm resistor; you really should pick a higher value because the input current of your comparator will cause the voltage to deviate significantly. A 10k or 1k pot would be much better.

3. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
    Hello,

Did you notice the sensor has an offset of vcc/2 ?
    This means the output will vary around 2.5 Volts at a vcc of 5 Volts.

Bertus

4. tiny747

Jul 31, 2010
    the amploc25 starts out at vcc/2 with no current being sensed going through it. But as current starts flowing through the hall effect sensor it goes up from there. Yes I see this. Hopefully I understand it correctly. I have built part of this circuit board and that is how it seems to work so far.

I also will also look into getting a smaller value variable resistor as the last post suggests.

5. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
    Hello,

Can you post a schematic of what you have upto now?
    That way we can see how to alter it to get it working.

Bertus

6. tiny747

Jul 31, 2010
    You guys are really fast posters! I am working on drawing up a schematic but I am not very good at it. I'm not a tech or anything like that. I'll try and have it up with 20-30 min.

7. tiny747

Jul 31, 2010
    Hopefully this worked better?

8. tiny747

Jul 31, 2010
    This circuit hasn't failed yet. (I haven't powered it up) I just wanted to make sure that I don't need resister in series with the inputs before I put it all together. I don't like smoke.

9. tom66

May 9, 2009
    You'll be OK. The input impedance of many comparators is at least 10 megohms, most are higher; adding a resistor will do little if anything to 'protect' your comparator.

If you're worried about voltage spikes, put a zener on the input with a series resistor, that'll short out any voltage spikes.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2010
  10. tiny747

Jul 31, 2010
    thanks for all the post. That is all I needed.