commutated dc current

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by andrea, Aug 23, 2007.

1. andrea

Thread Starter New Member

Sep 6, 2006
    hi,

I am trying to measure the conductivity of liquid with electrodes. I found in an article, it tells that " to avoid polarization of the electrodes by the use of dc, it use commutated dc current "
    I need your help please.
    What does commutated dc current mean?
    How to build the commutated dc current source?
    Thank you

andrea

2. nanovate

Distinguished Member

May 7, 2007
    I may be wrong but it might mean that the current is pulsed or chopped. Some sensors use an AC-like current.

3. Dave

Retired Moderator

Nov 17, 2003
    Commutated DC is where you reverse the half-wave cycle of an AC signal to give you a unidirectional signal.

Dave

4. John Luciani

Apr 3, 2007
    The word commutate means "to reverse". To make a commutated current source
    you need to periodically reverse the direction of the current flow.

If your current source is unipolar you could use one or two solid state switches to reverse the direction of current flow to the electrodes.

(* jcl *)

5. recca02

Apr 2, 2007
    yes it should mean changing the direction of the current in the electrodes periodically.

6. andrea

Sep 6, 2006
    Thanks to all for your help.

Does it use bridge circuit?

Using solid state switches to reverse the current direction. How does it work?
    Could you give me the example circuit or the links about it?

andrea

7. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    The commutated DC current is confusing. If you are going to use electrodes in water to measure conductivity, though, you need to use AC excitations to avoid plating crud on your electrodes.

Water, when pure, is a pretty good insulator. Chemicals dissolved in the water dissociate into ions, and let electrical current flow by transporting charge carriers. If the applied voltage is DC, then the positive electrode (anode) will get coated with an insulating layer. Using AC voltage tends to keep the build-up from becoming serious.

There are many ways to provide AC to electrodes. Possibly the easiest, if you're in a lab setting, is to get a step down transformer. Something like 12 - 24 volts applied should be enough. Place a resistor in series with one electrode. A large value, like 100K might be right. Apply voltage to the circuit and measure the drop across the resistor. It's a series element, so that will let you calculate current, which will give you the water conductivity. What current flows through the resistor has to also flow between the electrodes through the water.

8. andrea

Sep 6, 2006
    Thanks a lot beenthere.

How about the effect of polarization of your suggestion?

9. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    I'm not sure I follow your question. The use of AC on the electrodes is intended to avoid polarizing effects.

10. andrea

Sep 6, 2006
    Thank you for your help beenthere.