Communication Book

metallica007

Joined Dec 19, 2009
Hi Guys
I am a computer engineer in the second year and we are going tot study the next semester about Signals and Communication ,
I am a beginner in the field of Signals and Communication so i need a book that start from zero in this subject
I hope you can help

Thank you

Nanophotonics

Joined Apr 2, 2009
Hello,

Could you please give some information about your syllabus, what is your maths and communication background? There are many books out there and student requirements vary enormously.

Regards

I recommend Digital and Analog Communications Systems, ISBN 0023253916 Couch 1990, runs the gamut from propagation to modern protocols. Also, ITT Reference Data for Radio Engineers, ISBN 0672212188.

Cheers, DPW [ Everyone's knowledge is in-complete...Albert Einstein]

AJSklar

Joined Feb 18, 2009
Hello

This is a very broad subject, My backround is in Broadcast Engineering,
I worked on AM and FM radio stations so I dont know if this will help you
but the two most used books I own are the ARRL Handbook and
ELECTRONIC COMMUNICATION by Robert L. Shrader
ISBN #0-07-057151-1 McGraw-Hill, New York.. The NAB Engineering Handbook
is also very good...
Hope this helps...

metallica007

Joined Dec 19, 2009
Hello,

Could you please give some information about your syllabus, what is your maths and communication background? There are many books out there and student requirements vary enormously.

Regards
I am student in the second year of computer engineering
I studied calculus ,circuit analysis and digital electronics in the first year
I don't know the syllabus but i think it is introduction to DSP ( we shall study DSP on the third year )

Nanophotonics

Joined Apr 2, 2009
Hello,

I think it's best that you first check your syllabus. Some modules would normally involve lots of maths and communication concepts from Fourier series to designing filters, but most don't actually go into electronic circuit design as such, you learn it from somewhere else. They tend to focus on the maths and illustrate how signals are processed in communication systems.

I would recommend Analog and Digital Signal Processing by H.Baher, the maths is tough. Before introducing DSP, some analog signal processings are usually first introduced and compared. My best advice would be to first check the syllabus, go to your university library, check out a few books and skim through on the spot for a few hours until you find a book that you can understand well and which also fulfills your requirements. Your first point of contact would be your lecturer.

Good luck.

Last edited:

metallica007

Joined Dec 19, 2009
Hi guys
these are the syllabus
high‎&low pass filter,‎ transmition line ‎,‎ smith chart ‎,‎ forier series,‎ forier transform,‎ probaility ‎,‎ am &fm modulatiom ‎‎&demodulation ‎,‎ pulse modulation

waiting for the right book :)

Thanks

metallica007

Joined Dec 19, 2009
Thank for the links a lot
but do u know a book that talks about all these subjects ?

Thank in advanced :)

smslca

Joined May 11, 2009
Just have a look at the following books. I think this will help you a lot.;)

Communications Systems by Simon Haykins (2nd edition)
Engineering Electromagnetic by Mathew N O sadiku (for transmission lines & smith chart)

Last edited: