Common emitter...

Discussion in 'Homework Help' started by csmain, Mar 28, 2009.

1. csmain

Thread Starter New Member

Mar 28, 2009
    I have a common emitter and need to select resistors Ra and Rb that will bias the transistor for the maximum output swing and then must determine what the max output swing is. Could someone please explain exactly what the output swing is and how to determine what resistors to select,,,, any help appreciated thanks..

2. hgmjr

Jan 28, 2005
    Can you post a diagram that is labeled with the reference numbers on the various components?

hgmjr

3. csmain

Thread Starter New Member

Mar 28, 2009
    http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/HBASE/electronic/npnce.html#c2

thanks for the reply....there was no circuit diagram with the problem only said common emitter so I am assuming the circuit in the link....I am trying to understand the concepts of the problem before attempting again...and was hoping someone could explain what maximum output swing is... and/or how it is affected by the resistors...thanks

4. hgmjr

Jan 28, 2005
    I believe you will find that the term "maximum swing" in this problem refers to the largest output signal excursion that can be achieved without experiencing clipping of the output signal. The "maximum swing" of the output signal is influenced by several circuit parameters. Among the factors to consider when assessing the "maximum swing" of a CE BJT in the configuration you have referenced are the available power supply voltage, the input dc-bias network, the value of the emitter resistor, the input signal level, and the stage's voltage gain.

hgmjr

5. thatoneguy

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 19, 2009
    Here is a javascript based calculator for designing a common emitter amplifier.

You will want to have the datasheet for the transistor you are working with.