common cathode LED display limiting resistor?

jlon

Joined Aug 13, 2009
I'm want to design a circuit with some 7-segment LED displays driven from a 4511 or some variant. Now, I haven't burned up anything in quite some time. :D So before I burn anything up, I'm wondering:

Is it okay to put a single current-limiting resistor on the common cathode, or is it a necessity to have a separate current-limiting resistor on each LED segment? Can someone experienced in this give me a hint?

Joe

hgmjr

Joined Jan 28, 2005
I too recommend you go with a resistor per segment. If you try to get away with one resistor, you will find that the brightness of the segments will change as a function of the number of segments you have illuminated at any one time.

hgmjr

jlon

Joined Aug 13, 2009
That's going to be lot of resistors, but I don't want the display to change in intensity. So thanks to all!

Joe

rjenkins

Joined Nov 6, 2005
If you are multiplexing several digits, you only need one set of segment resistors as only one display is actually drawing current at any time.

jlon

Joined Aug 13, 2009
Yes, I've seen the resistor arrays. I'd rather just solder some 0805 packages. Not hard at all and much cheaper, lots of flexibility in positioning.