Common Applications of Circuits!?

vintageplayer

Joined Mar 2, 2015
Surely there is a good reference out there which summarises the common applications of op-amps nicely (without just assuming they might be used in things because of their properties)?

Because I design CMOS imagers.

Whether an opamp is used (and where it is used) depends on a number of factors, but it is very common to use an opamp (although it may not be a very good opamp) at some point in the processing chain. We've used opamps whose open loop gain was only about ten. You can get away with this because, in an IC, you have control over the environment that the opamp is in and can therefore use highly non-ideal devices. The same for current mirrors and bias generators -- they can be quite non-ideal as long as your overall design takes that into account.
1. Can you give other example applications?

2. Is there a reason why op-amps are used over other components (cost, simplicity, their properties)?

3. Can you think of any applications where op-amps are significantly advantageous to use over other circuit components?

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Thermostat.

2. Is there a reason why op-amps are used over other components (cost, simplicity, their properties)?
Cheap and easy with minimal support circuitry.

3. Can you think of any applications where op-amps are significantly advantageous to use over other circuit components?
I'd ask it in the reverse; in what applications are op-amps not advantageous compared to discrete transistors? High frequency and high power accounts for most of it.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Surely there is a good reference out there which summarises the common applications of op-amps nicely (without just assuming they might be used in things because of their properties)?

No, because no matter how many examples I provide it's not going to be enough.

vintageplayer

Joined Mar 2, 2015
No, because no matter how many examples I provide it's not going to be enough.
Well to be honest, no one has really fully answered my question so far, or provided any good references. I understand that op-amps are used everywhere (tvs, radios, aeronautics controls, thermostat, chips) but I would like specific examples of how they are applied within them, and why they are useful in those specific applications. Your example of CMOS imagers in cameras was great. It would have been even better if you expanded on why an op-amp in particular is important (or unimportant) in that voltage follower application (is it the cost, simplicity, standard, size etc.), or provided a reference which explained this. I hope there are more examples similar to yours. I appreciate your help. Don't get insulted just because I'm not completely sold with the other answers so far.

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
no one has really fully answered my question so far
'Fully' apparently will require infinite time, which members here don't have :). Your question(s) is/are such that you will need to provide the answers yourself by spending a lot of time searching online, since our answer(s) obviously don't come up to your expectations :(.
I would like specific examples of how they are applied within them
Google is your friend. Check out Application Notes and datasheets.

ramancini8

Joined Jul 18, 2012
You will seldom see the basic circuits in high production items such as cars because the basic circuits are contained in custom integrated circuits. Try designing a system and you will answer your question.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Another point to note is that companies would not be making millions (and in many cases billions) of these components every year if people were not using them on that scale and to get used on that scale means that they are getting used in products that people are paying for.