Commercial treadmill restoration, lots of questions

baronpork

Joined Apr 16, 2013
I'll pull the motor today for closer inspection. I'm just assuming that motor is 110-120v as, according to service manual, all "hot" parts of circuitry run 110v (ac?)

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
According to the manual it has a "Direct drive AC motor with MagnaDrive (tm) motor controller and Power Factor Plus(tm) Optimizer"
So some kind of VFD or ECM controller.
Is there a plate with any info on the motor?
Max.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
The bottom pic does appear to be representative of the Emerson 3ph Polyphase motors.
The number does not show up in their listing so most likely made for the OEM.
May pay to do a to ground resistance check on the motor, according to the corrosion.
Max.

baronpork

Joined Apr 16, 2013
I was surprised at 230v bit tho. expected it to be 110.
Motor spins absolutely freely and completely silently. No grindy/gritty sounds.
Cables on photo are tach (left) and i suspect thermal cutout switch (right).

How to test ground resistance ?

Also, to note that treadmill was sitting in a heated space for about half a year.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
It looks like it was in high humidity by the corrosion, was it working when put away?
The best way to check for leakage is with a HV Megger, but you would probabally have to take it to an electrician for that test etc.
Max.

baronpork

Joined Apr 16, 2013
It looks like it was in high humidity by the corrosion, was it working when put away?
The best way to check for leakage is with a HV Megger, but you would probabally have to take it to an electrician for that test etc.
Max.
I picked it off someone clearing garage space. However i suspect it has been out on the open for a while. I have no clue about its former life. All i can say that it had been run for 4400 hours and 28k miles. The previous owner got it for free as well, in non working condition, beyond that i know nothing else...

baronpork

Joined Apr 16, 2013
Obviously :D
But i'm not giving up. I got it in completely dead state, i managed to resurrect it to the point of being able to run electronics and some diagnostics. Who knows, maybe if i persevere i get to own a commercial treadmill :D Its not like it cost me anything, but it is great source of learning for me. Also, it kind of provides me with purpose after my 9-5 :D

baronpork

Joined Apr 16, 2013
It may be worth giving support a call as they mention in the manual, it is a toll free 1-800 number in N.A.:cool:
Max.
Now that i think about it...what i would want to ask ? Parts are priced something stupid, not interested in service contract, etc... I'm unlikely to learn anything that is not in service manual...

#Edit1# Holy C##P ! four capacitors + four resistors + pcb they're on = 792 gbp. in what world do 4 caps cost this sort of money ?
http://www.gym-fit.co.uk/Life-Fitness-9500-Treadmill-Capacitor-PCB-p/gf.183lst.htm

Last edited:

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
#Edit1# Holy C##P ! four capacitors + four resistors + pcb they're on = 792 gbp. in what world do 4 caps cost this sort of money ?
Mostly because anyone who pays for exercise is likely wealthy and sort of stupid. :D

baronpork

Joined Apr 16, 2013
Mostly because anyone who pays for exercise is likely wealthy and sort of stupid. :D
How stupid can they be if they're wealthy ? :D ... Dont answer that.... (I like you, Malcolm)...
I'm a prolific dumpster diver, cant pass up an opportunity to get something from the skip, fix it and pass it on to someone else.
When i came across this treadmill it kind of wanted me to fix it :D And i'm poor but very smart (not really, no...)...

So, keyboard membrane is about 120 gbp... Not sure if i can salvage the one i got here. Contrary to what i've seen in other electronics, this ribbon is not solderable. Slightest touch destroys trace, which doesnt appear to be copper/metal... Until i figure a way to restore/replace keypad i'm stuck.

Thinking about cobbling together a keyboard from some sort of push switches.

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
How stupid can they be if they're wealthy ? :D ... Dont answer that.... (I like you, Malcolm)..
I have some buddies who one a huge scrap yard and they are very wealthy but to look a them you would not think it and I seriously doubt they have ever paid just for the sake of getting exercise a day in their lives. Well of but not stupid by any means.

Now the people I have seen going to and from local gyms paying for exercise. Well they may have gotten the money some how or at least look the part but brains wise I have serious doubts. Anyone who drives their $80K SUV 10 miles to pay get on a stationary conveyor belt and walk or run 5 miles on it then drives their $80K SUV home again just doesn't strike me as being all that smart. :rolleyes:

baronpork

Joined Apr 16, 2013
Well, there is a distinction between "wealthy" and "in debt". The "$80k SUV" one sounds like latter.

Back to treadmill. Can someone help me make out the ends of keypad connnection ?
I'm thinking removing headers and soldering in a set of microswitches to be used as keyboard.
There are 28 keys on a keypad, header pinout looks like this:

Note that on P3 connector there are no "strobe" pins for return 2-7.