combining two momentary switches into one

d2a

Joined Jul 2, 2014
apologies if this is an obvious, off-topic or previously discussed topic but I'd like to hear any suggestions. many thanks in advance.

i have an existing audio device featuring a variety of switches, which allow you to select one of three 'modes'. once pressed, another set of switches allow you to select a specific item to place in this mode. the two sets of switches are all momentary, but do not share a common ground.

i would like to create a shortcut button for each item, allowing me to set a mode and the item in one push. i have test wired a switch into the circuit and can switch one or the other easily, but not both together. an additional complication is that i can only employ a single pole switch (this is a hardware necessity as I will be using a rotary encoder with integrated switch)

is there a simple way to achieve the combination? presumably a small relay could work, but is this overkill? perhaps the issue is one of delays - if one circuit is switched before the other?

any guidance or suggestions gratefully accepted!

d2a

Joined Jul 2, 2014
OK - diode switching looks like a possible solution. Thanks - i'll follow that up.

Apologies if I haven't supplied a complete enough explanation of the circuit. I have the circuit diagram but it's vast and sprawling. I was looking for general concepts and diode switching is a good start.

john_doe01

Joined Nov 27, 2011
apologies if this is an obvious, off-topic or previously discussed topic but I'd like to hear any suggestions. many thanks in advance.

i have an existing audio device featuring a variety of switches, which allow you to select one of three 'modes'. once pressed, another set of switches allow you to select a specific item to place in this mode. the two sets of switches are all momentary, but do not share a common ground.

i would like to create a shortcut button for each item, allowing me to set a mode and the item in one push. i have test wired a switch into the circuit and can switch one or the other easily, but not both together. an additional complication is that i can only employ a single pole switch (this is a hardware necessity as I will be using a rotary encoder with integrated switch)

is there a simple way to achieve the combination? presumably a small relay could work, but is this overkill? perhaps the issue is one of delays - if one circuit is switched before the other?

any guidance or suggestions gratefully accepted!
Dude look into switches with multiple throws, means two or more contacts change when a switch is pressed, so with one "press" both switches will make

d2a

Joined Jul 2, 2014
thanks for that but my (very limited) understanding is that multiple throws allow one of several different paths to be closed by one switch, whereas multiple poles allow several different paths to be connected simultaneously by one switch. so my problem requires the latter. and as mentioned in my first post, the hardware has to be single pole.