Combining multiple power inputs to one output

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by MBK, Apr 16, 2016.

1. MBK

Thread Starter New Member

Apr 16, 2016
    Hello everyone.

New here, and I have a nagging project problem which I hope some one can help me with.

I am working on a project whereby I have identical 8 outputs of 6.5vdc and 250ma which I want to connect in parallel for a combined current of 2000ma. Now, I have tried connecting all the outputs together in parallel but I still only get around 6.5v and 250ma when for example, charging a battery. I think the reason behind this is that each supply has around a 0.5 second lag (or possibly even less), and so I only ever get the output from 1 supply at any one time.

I need to find a way to combine all 8 inputs and have one output of 6.5v and 2000ma (or as close as possible, with acceptable losses).

I have tested the circuit and it works fine, with all 8 outputs working, but this tiny time lag is preventing me from connecting all outputs together.

The closest thing I've found online is something like a mppt controller where you can have multiple inputs from strings of solar panels, this is too big however and needs to be a small circuit solution.

Your going to think me either crazy or have a really obvious solution!

Thank you in advance for your time.

2. ericgibbs

Jan 29, 2010
    hi Mike,
    What are the 6.5v sources.??
    Batteries, PV's, etc and are they independently isolated.?

More info please.
  3. Papabravo

Feb 24, 2006