Combined Solenoid

squatchy

Joined Nov 21, 2012
Sorry if I'm asking too many questions about solenoids. I'm exploring a lot of options on developing a fast/accurate linear actuator and playing with different kinds of solenoids seems my best bet.

The current attempt is shown below. Any flaws in this set up? Concerns? Obvious idiocy? Thanks.

Attachments

SPQR

Joined Nov 4, 2011
What is the behavior you are looking for in the "larger" solenoid?
Total stroke length of "X" cm.
Total pulling/pushing strenght of "Y" lbs/kg.
Voltage you wish to use to control it?

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
What do you mean by "linear"? A standard solenoid does not have linear movement with current unless you have negative feedback using a position sensor.

squatchy

Joined Nov 21, 2012
The desired behavior is basically a solenoid that is not binary in nature. A basic solenoid is either "all in" or "all out". Extended or retracted.

I want to build or find an actuator that moves in one dimension to a controllable degree, does it accurately and does it quickly... and I'm wondering if a modified solenoid could achieve this.

squatchy

Joined Nov 21, 2012
Sounds like you could use a linear stepping motor. Here is a link to one - http://www.anaheimautomation.com/pr...actuator-item.php?sID=135&pt=i&tID=130&cID=52

There are other companies making them too, and they are available on E-bay.
http://www.haydonkerk.com/LinearMotionProducts/StepperMotorLinearActuators/tabid/66/Default.aspx
Pretty much what I'm looking for except these look really slow. I'd be using them for an animatronic application so it'd be ideal if the plunger could go be manipulated at a rapid pace.

That said, I realize I'm asking for all the benefits of a variety of different devices without any of the sacrifices. I guess I'm just amazed there is nothing like this out there currently (a simple, cheap, fast, precise linear actuator component).

SPQR

Joined Nov 4, 2011
Disney uses pneumatics (mentioned by Jaguarjoe) and hydraulics.
But you can increase your speed significantly by using a lever, just like the heads on a hard drive.

A fast stepper, a lever and a screw might be a way to go.

Some of the original audioanamatronics (Tiki Room) were/are just solenoids.

Newer technologies are out there such as this nano precision actuators - fast, long stroke.
www.nanoactuator.com