COM1 and c# interface transmission

Discussion in 'Programmer's Corner' started by TomJoad, Jan 31, 2015.

1. TomJoad

Thread Starter New Member

Dec 9, 2013
  2. sirch2

Jan 21, 2013
    It is good that you posted the whole project but it would also be good if you included the specific piece of code you are having a problem with in code][/code] tags and give any error messages etc.

From a brief look at your code you declare
    Code (Text):
    1. SerialPort port = new SerialPort("COM1", 9600, Parity.None, 8, StopBits.One);    
    but then you use
    Code (Text):
    1. COM1.Open();
    and I cannot see where COM1 is declared. But as I said, I am just guessing because I don't know what you are having a problem with

3. tshuck

Oct 18, 2012
    I doubt anyone will download a *.rar file.

Edit: looks like sirch2 is more trusting than most. :)

I'd suggest you post what you are having trouble with, instead of posting a project and asking for others to help you do.....something.

4. sirch2

Jan 21, 2013
    Off topic but rar is just a compression format and I take precautions

5. kubeek

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 20, 2005
    Whats wrong with opening rars and zips? Way safer than opening a .doc file, or even a pdf for that matter.

6. ErnieM

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 24, 2011
    The only problem I foresee is the rar format is mostly confined to ultra nerds and others still living in their parent's basements.

Also I'm running of of search hits for free 30 day trial versions of rar decoders.

7. spinnaker

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 29, 2009

Because you don't know what you are going to get. Forget the fact that it might be malicious code. If it is an executable you can just delete it, But then again you have to rember to delete it.

My problem is that compression files are a pain. First if you don't have a rar decompressor then you need to load it. But even if you are all setup you still don't know what kind of file is in the compression file. What if it from some file format to which I have no software.

Sorry but I along with a lot of other people aren't going to waste thier time looking. The OP needs to make it as easy as possible to allow others to help the OP, Compression files don't make things easy.

I have a huge problem with questions like the OPs in general. "I have a problem, here is my giant code, tell me what is wrong" Not "this is what I have done" or "what I checked" or "I have a question on these few lines". The OP expects others to do the work for the OP. Putting forth no effort whatsoever or at least not mentioning it. That should not be the purpose of this forum. The idea should be for forum members to help others but have the "others" do most of the work. People aren't going to learn if someone else is doing all of the work.

8. kubeek

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 20, 2005
    I am not sure if it is still the case with the new forum engine, but on the old one I think you could upload pictures and other stuff only up to around 200kB, but you could upload zips and pdfs up to 2000kB which is a big difference. Also I think you still can upload only certain types of files, so if you want to upload some specific files or even a plain text file but with different extension than . txt then you need to rename it (which sadly is almost totally impossible for most of windows users) or put it inside an archive.

I don´t know how you got your computer set up, but when I download compressed files I tell my browser not to save them somewhere but to open them right away, and then I just simply go through the contents and either open the files inside or not. No need to remember deleting them as the archive will be stored in some temporary directory and should be deleted after I restart the browser.

9. spinnaker

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 29, 2009
    Hummm... Not sure what OS file you have but when you download the Zip file is still there. Yeah the uncrompessed file is not out in the opnen. But that does not matter beacuse you still need to download to see what is inside. The OP did not bother to mention even that. IMHO question's like the OP's are not worht the bother. Others can help or not help as they wish.

10. sirch2

Jan 21, 2013